0:00 - 0:25 =

0:26 - 0:30 = Delfino Plaza guitar chromatic chord progression sped up

0:31 - 0:37 =

0:38 - 0:50 =

0:50 - 1:14 = Gelato / Delfino

1:15 - 1:40 = Delfino

1:41 - 1:52 =

1:53 - 2:18 = all sources mixed in together

2:19 - 2:44 = Delfino Plaza (intro reprise)

2:45 - 3:58 = *smorgasbord mixture of all sources, but mostly Delfino Plaza and Gelato Beach*

3:59 - 4:23 =

4:24 - 4:49 = Pianta Village + Delfino Plaza

Concept/Goal:

MC Final Sigma envisioned portraying one of the Piantas of Delfino Plaza as a suave salesman who's trying to convince Mario into purchasing some of his wares. The salesman, Pianta Joe, is a bit on the shady side, but he has a lot of finesse and charisma. I chose to take Sigma's idea and go full-on g-funk with the beat to give it a "gangster" feel. :mrgreen:

to-do list (things we're already planning for the next wip) (DONE!! 7.8.13):

-obviously add second verse vocals to continue the narrative

-3:59-4:49 is subject to change after I get more vocals from Sigma, but I'm strongly thinking this should remain as the outro

-I'm going to re-do all of my vocals and probably add some singing hype/background vocals throughout. I'm clearly going for a Nate Dogg approach, it's just hard for me to find that sweet spot between soulful and chill.

-might edit the percussion and bass, but for the most part the main synths are done

- I'd like to incorporate more of the original Gelato Beach saxaphone melody and bass sliding thing

any suggestions and crits are welcomed and appreciated! Thanks

Edited by Damashii!!

Oh yeeeeeeah, this is slick. Nice job guys! I love the beat Jordan, it does indeed have a nice funky "gangsta" feel to it. That solo section at 3:59 is awesome too, I absolutely love the instrument you have going on there!

I like the concept for the track too, it's pretty cool, and the lyrics are pretty clever too. I'm not familiar with MC Final Sigma's work, but you've got a very particular delivery and voice that I think fits this style perfectly. I think a few of your words could be accentuated a little more clearly at the end of a line, but overall I was digging it. Jordan, I'm really liking your singing vocals too, they're a great complement to Sigma's raps. It might be cool to layer some of your vocals with your singing an octave higher, as sort of an echo call-back effect at the end of a line, like: [normal] I'm looking for something [octave higher] something!

I don't really have a lot of other comments. I'm really enjoying the beat and vocals here, can't wait to hear some more!

Sounds literally dry to me. The drums after 0:25 have almost no reverb, if it's subtly there already. 0:35 is most obvious.

The portamento saw at 0:37 is too dry and plain, and so is the chiptune beeping. As a result, it's too loud. A little more reverb should make them fit better.

The twangy saw synth at 2:44 - 2:47 is also too dry (and plain).

The drums are too repetitive. There isn't much to listen to other than the lyrics, but musically, everything sounds consistently the same. There are no new atmospheres that I can hear.

Good start, but there's a lot more to do before this is ready for the panel. Maybe referencing

could help you spice things up a bit.

I don't think the dryness is a problem, most hip hop is pretty dry. I do think the kick and snare could be weightier. Otherwise, cool sound.

True, but I don't even hear the slightest bit of ambience. Even hip hop should have reverb, just enough to make all the drums sound like they're in the same room. It doesn't necessarily have to be obvious to the average listener.

• 1 month later...

Update in the OP. MCFSigma and I are satisfied with it and are preparing to submit it, but I'd still like to share it here in the Workshop to show the changes we've made; I wanted to keep that right-in-the-pocket G-Funk groove, but I did take your suggestions into great consideration (aaaaand, I've listened to Kid Cudi's Indicud a lot throughout last month :tomatoface: ). So thanks a lot for the feedback, it did help, and I believe this song is a lot better now on all levels (not too complicated, but also not boring).

The last concern of ours is the title. We're stuck between "Tutti I Frutti," "The Ballad of Piantee Joe," and then I joked to MCFS that we might as well go with "Tutti I Frutti: The Ballad of Piantee Joe." your vote?

Yeah I don't really have anything constructive to add to this. This mix is just plain awesome. Such lush instrumentation from Jordan (seriously love that solo synth at 4:00), and Sigma I really enjoy your vocal style - it's a lot of fun! Lyrics are really fun and witty too.

Great job guys, this is sub-ready in my opinion! And my vote is for "Tutti I Frutti: The Ballad of Piantee Joe"