*NO* Equinox 'Inverted Ocean'

djpretzel

I've taken a long hiatus from OCRemixin', but I've finally made something I believe is worthy of submitting, especially compared to the one other mix I have on the site (yuk).

If you like, you can post the vocals featured in this song, as they might be a little hard to understand from the tweaking I gave them:

'This channel opened, and it began to inform me. It was not like any experience I've ever had; there was no hallucination. What there was was what I would describe as pure understanding. Understanding that amplified itself every hour; every minute. I mean, I had only to take a cup and dip up a glass of water from the spring and pour it past my eyes and I could say "I understand water!"'

'Nature is hyperdementional in it's architectonics. We are flowing toward a culminating purpose; probably the shedding of matter as the vehicle of our becoming.'

Anyways, here is a link to the song. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yahoo! Photos

Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

• 2 weeks later...

I am feeling the mix. Once you turn off all the lights, and put on your headphones, you get the aura and the essence of the mix. My main concern is that even for ambience, the mix is very empty. Not introducing much as it goes along. The different instruments that come in don't really fade together properly, which ends up sounding all muddled. With some stronger backing, it might be a little better.

I dunno who this Terrence McKenna is, nor what it has to do with the game, so I won't comment there. I will say that the sample around 2:40 sounds out of place. It worked as an introduction to the piece, but not in the middle.

From 3:00, I'm confused how this is anything beyond a heartbeat and an ambient effect. Some parts sound nice, but I don't think it's anywhere near strong enough to be considered just yet.

The overall sound is very nice, relaxing, but the parts with the percussion just need to be backed up a little more clearly with the melody, and the second half needs more direction and definement.

At the risk of being locked in a cabinet with the other smoking monkeys, I'll vote NO on this for now.

http://snesmusic.org/spcsets/eq.rsn - "Atlena" (eq-06.spc)

Strange original, to be sure. It ends by 1:49, but then an entirely new section comes in from 2:05-3:47. Then that ended and another new section came in from 4:01-5:30. So the source is really three different pieces in one; not hugely different, but different enough.

Yeah, it's really too bad that there's not much substance to the track as an arrangement. As a chillout style piece, this is great stuff. I disagreed with TO on the second McKenna sample not fitting well. I thought everything worked really well on that level; very relaxing. Vigilante and I were talking about McKenna a few days ago when I told him about this track. McKenna's says some absolutely hilarious bullshit. "Nature is hyperdimensional in its architectonics..." He was clearly on the good shit. Died of brain cancer, you say? I've gotta wonder if he was halfway there by that point.

But in terms of the arrangement, it's just a piano and woodwind with some nice effects basically covering the source with some chill beatwork surrounded by weird effects. Then yeah, there's really nothing much I hear going on from 2:48-5:20/end but a heartbeat + various other SFX.

This arrangement really just tackles the first section of "Atlena". If it involves anything else from Equinox being arranged after 2:48, I certainly can't tell from trying to listen to all of the game's other tracks. At 3:32, a wind instrument comes in doing something vaguely melodic, along with a woodwind at 3:52, but I couldn't tell you what it's supposed to be from. That's why the burden of proof is on the submitter to provide all of the information we need.

In any case, the arrangement is chill, but unfortunately isn't interpretive enough or expansive enough in a way that builds directly from the composition of the original. There's SOME rearrangement going on, but not enough to get it done. I love the track (definitely keeping it), but it just doesn't meet any arrangement standards here.

NO

• 2 weeks later...