Why has Nintendo been such a disappointment lately?

nOkbient

It can't just be me. Nintendo has really dropped the ball lately. Only a handfull of decent games for the Wii, releasing the Wii U as an updated Wii as opposed to a new console, and just plain not trying to make new content for it! Seriously? New Super Mario Bros U? How about New Legend Of Zelda U? Or a new freaking franchise for once! The 3DS seems to be getting some decent titles, but it doesn't compare with the Vita in terms of good content.

Is there a reason for all of this? I'm genuinely unsure why Nintendo seems to have no clue about what they're doing. Was there a change of management or something? Why was the GameCube the last real attempt at a fantastic console in terms of competing with Sony/Microsoft?

Is there a reason for all of this? I'm genuinely unsure why Nintendo seems to have no clue about what they're doing. Was there a change of management or something? Why was the GameCube the last real attempt at a fantastic console in terms of competing with Sony/Microsoft?

Well obviously its because Nintendo is stupid. Pure and simple.

Now let's start a whole new round of pretending we're game industry experts and debate each other into the ground about exactly how and where one of our favorite companies sucks for not giving us exactly what we want! This will be a totally useful waste of time!

Why was the GameCube the last real attempt at a fantastic console in terms of competing with Sony/Microsoft?

It was the last attempt because people weren't interested in it, and developers don't want to compete with Nintendo.

To be honest, all 3 of the next/current gen consoles look to be supremely disappointing, maybe Nintendo least of all simply because the price is looking to be a lot more reasonable than the other two.

Transitioning to PC gaming has been a huge windfall the past few years, and it doesn't look to be stopping any time soon.

Well obviously its because Nintendo is stupid. Pure and simple.

Now let's start a whole new round of pretending we're game industry experts and debate each other into the ground about exactly how and where one of our favorite companies sucks for not giving us exactly what we want! This will be a totally useful waste of time!

Dude, what?

In my opinion, Nintendo was just overconfident after the Wii and the DS sold Eighteen Bajillion Units. Since most consumer whores love to buy the same-thing-but-slightly-different again and again (e.g. each successive iPhone/iPod model, Call of Duty, Madden, a new car because the old one is "outdated," etc.) and profits were astronomical on their last two major systems, I believe they just figured "why deviate?" and released the same consoles which were already out, but they included a bonus gimmick.

Keep in mind that the Wii library was TERRIBLE when it first came out, but the novelty of motion controls made us content to waggle around in Wii Sports for a while. Over the past 6 years, though, the novelty has worn off, and a lot of gamers have realized that motion controls, like, suck. Additionally, there's nothing novel at all about a tablet-based entertainment system, and there's very little novelty to a 3-D gaming system being that 3-D shit has saturated movie theaters and TVs for several years. So the old gimmick wore off, and the new ones weren't particularly new for most consumers. Sales data from the previous generation simply granted them too much confidence (arrogance?) regarding system sales, I believe.

Edited by ectogemia

The Wii, in my little humble opinion, was an excellent console for Nintendo fans. They couldn't please the Call of Duty / bro crowds, but I was content. Two great zelda games, two Mario Galaxies, another Paper Mario, two Kirby titles, Punch-Out revival, Fire Emblem sequel, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Brothers Brawl, just for starters...Let's not forget that there were a buttload of rpg's near the end of Wii's life cycle, virtual console, etc.. 3rd party support was weak but there were some good 3rd party games to if you know where to look, Tatsunoko VS Capcom, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Muramasa, Trauma Center, etc..

I still play a lot of my Wii games....I have never regretted purchasing the console. I look forward to seeing what Nintendo bring this E3.

It can't just be me. Nintendo has really dropped the ball lately. Only a handfull of decent games for the Wii, releasing the Wii U as an updated Wii as opposed to a new console, and just plain not trying to make new content for it! Seriously? New Super Mario Bros U? How about New Legend Of Zelda U? Or a new freaking franchise for once! The 3DS seems to be getting some decent titles, but it doesn't compare with the Vita in terms of good content.

New Super Mario Bros U is a game that exists. It was a launch title. Also Wii U is a brand new console, it's not an update to the Wii. Nintendo is also obviously working on a new Zelda game for Wii U as well; Zelda games always take a long time to come out.

3DS has a great library too.

I'm closing this thread because we've already got two threads devoted to Nintendo systems. You can post your opinions there.