OCR02683 - Silent Hill 2 "Halo of the Sun"

djpretzel

I'm actually going to echo djp on this, and say that I think the drums are fine where they are, and that it's the piano that needs to come forward a little bit.

Definitely an interesting take on the source; I didn't think I was going to like it as well as I did, but it's definitely got a good atmosphere and concept going for it.

I agree that the piano should have come up a little bit more, but I'm not really a fan of the drum sequencing here; the rapid kicks are interfering with what the piano is doing. It's like mixing hip hop with solo piano. It even feels slightly bare at times.

The pads are quite nice though, and the bells are neat. Nice triplet at 2:54. D'oh! Fade out! x( Oh well, great job anyways!

Very nice drums. Going to add to the choir and agree that the piano could've been a little louder in relation to them. The atmospheric pads & the static noise intro are really great.

The harmonic explorations in the end felt a bit undercooked - they were by no means unwelcome, but the shift to major feel was a bit surprising.. which can be a good thing, but then the piece didn't develop further. I was definitely expecting the piece to explore this variation more thoroughly. I do note that Emunator seemed to appreciate the ending in his judging call. For me it would've worked better as a whole without the coda.

Regardless, it did work as a whole for me. Very enjoyable mood, dark mood!

--Eino

It's definitely more the piano than the drums, but I can hear why the judges said what they did. While I actually liked the drums weaving in and out of the piano, it did have a moment or two in the first minute and a half where it didn't seem to mesh as well as the rest of the song. When the drums pick up and then drop off to the piano, though, that was a great touch. I know some people don't like fade-outs (really don't know why) but I think it was good here seeing as how you was ending with a solo-piano. Not bad.

• 2 years later...

Yeah the piano needed to be louder than the drums for this one, as good as the drums sounded. Volume balancing is the only major gripe I had with this track. If the volume was balanced better, then this would be a flawless track. As it stands though, it’s still a pretty decent track.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR02683 - Silent Hill 2 "Halo of the Sun"