· Your userid: 22246

Remix link:

Remix title: Bass Invasion

Source link:

(Terran Two, only worry about the first 50 seconds or so),
(Zerg Two), and a smattering of
(Protoss One, look around 3:31 or so).

Game: Starcraft

Song: Terran Theme 2, Zerg Theme 2, Protoss Theme 1.

This was my entry into the sixth round of the FL Studio Remix Gauntlet, hosted by Jason Covenant. I’m very, very pleased with this one, mostly because of what I managed to squeeze out of the most basic of tools in FL. Anyone who’s used FL Studio knows that the 3xOsc doesn’t make for the single best synth ever, but everything you hear in here is either 3xOsc or an occasional Autogun patch. The drums are all stock sounds, and all the plugins were ones that are included with the base versions of FL. If anyone’s interested in seeing how I did all this, the FLP is here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39664725/Hotlink/Bass%20Invasion%20%28Starcraft%29.flp

Source breakdown: start – 0:50 or so is all the Zerg Theme. Between 0:50 – 1:20 or so is an intermixing of Zerg, Protoss, and maybe a little bit of Terran, I can’t remember. 1:20 – 1:44 is all Zerg, and then from 1:44 – 2:04 some Zerg and Terran theme bits play off of each other. From 2:12 – 2:35 it’s back to Zerg-only again, and then possibly the most recognizable bit of theme comes in at 2:35 and plays ‘til about 3:00. From then on it’s Zerg and Protoss with a bit of Terran on occasion, recycled from other parts of the song.

As a technical achievement, I’m proud of this song and think it’s worth sharing, and hopefully there’s enough source in here to pass muster.

Defend your territory against the Bass Invasion!

(Terran Two)

(Zerg Two)

(Protoss One) Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

More in depth breakdown from Mike, because I had trouble sorting this out:

The arpeggio in the beginning of the mix corresponds to the arpeggio from 0:12-0:30ish in the Zerg theme. Please note that I only use one key for most of the intro, letting it develop once the beat drops.

The shiny lead that starts coming in during the intro corresponds to the synth stabs in the Zerg source at 0:52.

At about 0:22 in the song is where the arpeggio starts mirroring the Zerg source a bit more closely, as the shiny lead does some riffage on those stabs. This being a super-SUPER-sparse source, I had to get kinda creative.

The bassline which starts at 0:22 is meant to correspond to the guitar-ish stab in the very beginning of the Terran source, just very slowed down and with a bit of variation.

The filtered stab at 0:54 in the remix is meant to correspond to the flute/mellotron/whatever stab at about 3:31 in the Protoss theme. This will pop a few times during the remix.

The chippy blips which start at 1:21 in the remix correspond to the lead at about 4:09 in the Zerg source.

The supersaw which starts at about 1:45 in the remix corresponds to the same guitar-esque stabs in the Terran theme as the bassline did before.

At 2:13 in the remix, we're back to where we were before, just with a bit more variation on the Zerg's synth stabs with my shiny lead.

At 2:35, the solo corresponds to about 0:31 in the Terran source. This should be mostly recognizable, albeit with significant riffage. The bassline is mostly just following the lead at this point.

Everything else after this is basically just reprising previously-used elements in the song.

Leaning towards NO. There are elements I can match against the original, like the Terran melody, but many of them are changed too much to be recognizable. Interested to get more opinions before making a final vote.

I'm agreeing with Vinnie here: the source is really hard to make out a lot of the time. It doesn't help that a lot of the source is pretty ambient, but even the parts you mentioned that I specifically listened to were hard to match up. I think you did an awesome job otherwise, and considering what you were working with this sounds pretty good and is quite fun to listen to, but it's just not connected enough.

NO (resubmit?)

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta triplicate this sentiment, the source is present in some spots, but I am not hearing it as dominant enough throughout to really pass the arrangement criteria of OCR. The track is really cool and well done, but I think the source is a little too loose.

I really enjoyed the shifting energy and the beats were hot, so please don't think that we don;t dig the track; it just needs more dominant and prominent source use.

No

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for the more detailed breakdown, Mike. I gotta say, I held this vote up just to sanity check it, but WOW that is one liberal arrangement. I barely made out anything. :lol:

Thanks to the comments, I was able to at least distill the claims of source usage and work from there:

Relevant source usage:

Zerg 0:12-0:35 arpeggio

Zerg 0:52 synth stabs

Zerg 4:09 lead

Terran 0:00 guitar-ish stab

Terran 0:31

Protoss 3:31 flute/mellotron/whatever stab

OK, I stripped down Mike's breakdown and then tried to A-to-B all the connections and I came up with:

TOO LIBERAL - 0:00 arpeggio = Zerg 0:12-0:35 arpeggio; only use one key for most of intro

Matched up >1/3rd of the time - 0:11-0:45 shiny lead = Zerg 0:52 synth stabs

TOO LIBERAL - 0:22 arpeggio = Zerg source more closely, as the shiny lead does some riffage on those stabs

TOO LIBERAL - 0:22 bassline = Terran 0:00 guitar-ish stab, very slowed down with variation

TOO LIBERAL - 0:54 filtered stab = Protoss 3:31 flute/mellotron/whatever stab; used a few times elsewhere

TOO LIBERAL - 1:21 chippy blips = Zerg 4:09 lead

TOO LIBERAL - 1:45 supersaw = Terran same guitar-esque stabs in very beginning, as 0:22 remix's bassline

Matched up >1/3rd of the time - 2:13-2:35 retread of 0:11, more variation on the Zerg's synth stabs with shiny lead

TOO LIBERAL - 2:35 solo = Terran 0:31 source. Mostly recognizable with riffage; bassline following lead

Everything else after this is basically just reprising previously-used elements in the song.

Sooo... yeah. :lol: I didn't think much matched up with the source tunes, and this pretty quickly went off the rails as far as any meaningful recognizability. Cool track though. I was hoping I'd ID something that made it a pass, but thems the breaks! But yeah, on the panel, you never give ANYONE the benefit of the doubt when it comes to source usage. :-)

NO