*NO* Super Mario 64 'Welcome 64'

Liontamer

If this passed and the source files were available, we would need an MP3 (not M4A) with 192kbps or VBR1 encoding - LT

CONTACT INFORMATION:

ReRemixer Name: Greyvoice

Email Address:

SUBMISSION INFORMATION:

Name of Game: Super Mario 64

Name of Arrangement: "Welcome 64"

Name of Song: Super Mario 64 Select File

http://ocremix.org/song/1029

-There's something infectiously hopeful and welcoming about this particular song. It seems to say a lot of things, despite its brevity. I wanted to do a rendition of it on the ultimate nostalgic instrument, the acoustic guitar (with a hint of mandolin). Hope you enjoy.

-------------------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Nice sound here, Morgan. While the multi-tracking was a bit loose at times, this piece was not without skill and charm throughout. The structure of the source was obviously maintained here, which means it's arguably a bit repetitive. That said, the variations and trade-offs between original countermelodic writing and doubling the melody coupled with the personalized live performance put this on solid ground for me. While the theme itself repeats, nothing was cut-and-pasted repeated.

A good example, IMO, of a short-and-sweet cover that's personalized enough to get the nod. Some further development in the form of melodic variations or weaving in wholly original sections would have made this a much easier sell, and this falling under just 2 minutes may make some people double take. But successful arrangements come in all shapes and sizes. :-) Not the strongest YES in the world, but it gets it done enough.

YES

Edited by Liontamer
changed vote; see new vote below

• 1 month later...

I feel like this just isn't enough. I agree that the source is really wonderful, and I like your treatment here. But even as a sub-2-minute mix, it's gets repetitive. It's just that melody over and over again (albeit played well), not even so much as a small section where you vamp on the chords.

I'd consider pulling in another Mario 64 source; maybe some bits from the ending credits theme, which has a similar happy vibe.

A nice preview, but needs more.

NO, resub

I basically am copying Darkesword's vote exactly here. The sound is really nice, and it's played well, but there is almost no arrangement to speak of besides being played on a new instrument. I'd love to hear some more creativity put into this, because the sound is really nice, and the source is great. Expand on it without getting too repetitive, and give it another go, please!

No, please resubmit!

Yeah, I'm on the same boat with DS & OA. It's a nicely performed cover (though somewhat loose at times), but there isn't much development of the source beyond changing the backing pattern or doubling the melody. I'm a little surprised at Larry's nod here :<

I'd recommend seeing if you can squeeze more content creatively out of this source or take up Shariq's suggestion and look into incorporating another source.

NO resubmit, please

Like I said, it wasn't the strongest YES in the world, and given the other votes, I'm definitely in favor of adding melodic variations here to give more substance and dynamic contrast to it. That said, I still thought the personalization in the live performance and new, varied surrounding writing had merit, but yeah, with further development and interpretation of the main melody itself and some further length, this could be on solid ground. So I'll change my vote, but also encourage Morgan to flesh this out some more and resubmit, since it's going in the right direction.

NO (resubmit)