Your ReMixer name: Tuberz McGee

Your real name: Callum Kennedy

Your email address:

Your userid: 44165

Name of game(s) arranged: Heavy Rain

Name of arrangement: A Father Too

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Painful Memories

Your own comments about the mix:

This is a ReMix I put together for a fantastic man. A composer. A Father.

Normand Corbeil.

He died at age 56 from pancreatic cancer.

He wrote the soundtrack to Heavy Rain. A soundtrack which instills heavy emotion within me.

I hope you enjoy this rendition of the piece.

Normand. You will be missed greatly.

The title is a quote from Ethan Mars. I thought it fitting.

Breakdown from Callum:

0:00 - 0:13 ~ This section is literally the main melody of Painful Memories just reversed. Haha

I thought it made a nice intro. :P

0:13 - 0:43 ~ This is original material based upon the harmonic texture of the source material 'Painful Memories'.

0:43 - 1:18 ~ This is the main section of the 'Painful Memories' source used verbatim (of course verbatim is used loosely given that I'm playing guitar rather than Piano. Haha)

1:18 - 1:36 ~ This section is the main section of 'Painful Memories' with some changes in the harmonic texture and other implied chords, as well as changing portions of the melody to allude to these chordal changes.

1:36 - 1:45 ~ This section is original material based upon the tonic chord and the suspension and resolution of that chord.

1:45 - 2:13 ~ Original material based on the tonic chord and a melody in the bass register which helps to allude to an expanded harmonic palette.

2:13 - 2:23 ~ Some really loud 'thunderous' hammerings of Open strings in a D Tuning. God it's fun to do that. Haha

Original material however.

2:23 - 2:58 ~ Material based solely on the main section of the 'Painful Memories' material. It includes melodies at two different octaves and two different harmonic progressions.

2:58 - 3:28 ~ Original Material based as a reprise of the section at 0:13 to 0:43.

3:28 - 4:04 ~ Material based on the main section of 'Painful Memories'. It harmonises on the melody, however I do stray from the original melody whilst retaining the harmonic texture.

4:04 - 4:30 ~ Original Material based on the reprising section yet again.

4:30 - 4:59 ~ The outro so it's basically all tonic and harmonics and all that really stereotypical stuff that hopefully no-one patented cause otherwise I'm gonna get sued ohnoezimastudentidonthavemoney

<3

Hope this helps. Thanks bros and bro-ettes.

------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxIbIkycXwU

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

This is a gorgeous track from Callum - well-written, performed, and recorded. It's a touching tribute to the composer of the soundtrack. The bass got a little loud at moments, particularly with the hammered chords, and I also heard some clipped notes that sounded like playing mistakes. Neither was too big an issue. The only major concern I had was whether the source was used enough. Here's what I heard:

0:13-0:43 Bottom strings play something loosely based on the left-hand part of the original, but the notes have changed. Too liberal.

0:43-1:18 Chords have changed the melody is close to verbatim with some added notes. The source track doesn't have a super strong melody, but the first three notes of each phrase are strong in both the original and remix.

1:18-1:36 Different chords and different melodies. Too liberal.

1:36-2:23 Original.

2:23-2:58 Last chord is different and melody is mostly there. Would probably count this, it seemed recognizable.

2:58-3:28 Same as first section.

3:28-4:04 Starts with the melody but deviates pretty far.

4:04-end Original.

In the end we're looking at about 70 seconds of material that is close enough to count. I can see how this was inspired by the original track - it uses the same sparseness of notes to convey a mood, and some of the rhythms are the same - but it's too far away.

NO

Edited by Liontamer

I really enjoy this, but I am not hearing much more source here than Vinnie. It's a very good inspired-by sounding song, but the connection is a stretch in several parts. The recording was fine, and the performance was pretty good, but with such a low percentage of dominant original source, it's not meeting the OCR goal. :-(

No

Agreed with vinnie on the source pretty much. If i'm generous on stopwatching, I give you 88 seconds of source in a 5 minute remix. Needs at least 50% to pass so I can't sign off on it. Really really nice work tho callum, resub this with a bit more source and send it back our way. Only other thing i'd suggest is fix the clipping at 2:17, that dynamic contrast is jarring anyway... curious what you're reasoning was for it.

Anyways, nice track but I vote

NO (resub)

Wow, what a lovely source, and an equally lovely remix. The guitar playing is gorgeous and emotive. The rain is a great accent, but I feel like it drones a little bit, could have some volume variations or even a mild bit of thunder to break it up, also it seems a little dry.

(edit: did I seriously just say rain was dry? haha)

The guitar strums starting at 2:15 are jarringly loud compared to the rest, to the point of near clipping at 2:17. That will need to be tamed. Other than that, this seems like an easy pass if there were enough source, but it seems there isn't quite enough (as painstakingly timestamped by my fellow judges). I hope you will find a way to add more source and resubmit this, I'd love to see it on the site!

NO (resubmit)

Short and sweet, I loved this track in a vacuum, but I also agreed the overall treatment ended up focusing too much on original writing and thus was too liberal for here.

This was 4:59-long, so it needed at least 149.5 seconds of overt source usage for me to pass it on arrangement.

:00-:17, :20.25-:23.5, :27.75-:29.5, :34-:37.5, :43.75-1:14.25, 1:18-1:31, 2:24.25-2:36.5, 2:41-2:52, 3:04.5-3:07.5, 3:28.5-3:37, 3:46.5-3:58, 4:10-4:13, 4:22-4:25 = 121.25 seconds or 40.5%

I gave this a little more credit on source usage than the others, mostly based on the guitar having enough rhythmic similarities to the piano's left hand in the source. Perhaps I've giving too much credit, but I thought it was fairly on point.

That said, as awesome as this piece is -- with excellent instrumentation, dynamics and performances -- it definitely needed more substantial integration of the Heavy Rain theme to be post-able on OCR. It would probably take a lot of re-working to get this there, so if you feel like calling it a done deal, Callum, that's OK. But I know you'll be on the front page someday with skills like this. :-)

NO (resubmit)