Submission Information

Earthbound

My song title...

Faint Memories

Original song title...

Eight Melodies

Hirokazu Tanaka, Hiroshi Kanazu, Keiichi Suzuki, Toshiyuki Ueno

EarthBound (Nintendo, 1994, SNES)

Earthbound is my favorite game of all time. Eight Melodies is able to bring me to me knees in awe; the memories of playing it with my sister, and best friends. I truly love the game, and the music. I also love ambient music, and I was very much hoping to bring my own style of music to a brilliant little melody. The idea is that - the sounds are falling down a hallway like a distant memory, but you can still make out certain elements in the wash of age and distance. Thank you for your time. I am brand new to this site: You have my apologies for any miscommunication or faulty file formats.

----------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Well, there's definitely some personalization here in the approach with instrument variations of the leads, and original string/pad writing. Melodically, however, there's obviously not much interpretation. The final section at 2:21 has a lead that sounds more reminiscent of EarthBound's sound than anything before it, just noting.

The arrangement approach was subtle and developed to some extent, and I'm not inherently against relatively simple textures. But given the minimalism in the writing and textures, and how this is basically in the same tempo as the original, I felt there needed to be additional development through other means such as some melodic variations, or employing and varying the source tune's countermelodies.

So it's not like this is way too conservative of an arrangement, but this arrangement wasn't quite developed ENOUGH to put the level of interpretation over the top. Good stuff so far, Justin, but see what other substantial arrangement ideas you can incorporate.

NO (resubmit)

What a beautiful melody, and a great and clear soundscape. I agree with Larry that a little bit more personalization would be what puts this over the bar; I really enjoyed the super delicate touch with the pads, and the gradual build of elements.

I do think that adding in humanization of the part so it's not as stiff would give it a lot more personalization, and even more development would be good. As-is, it's beautiful but not unique enough from the original.

No, please resubmit

I think Larry and Andrew summed this up quite well. Gosh, it is really lovely, some really nice sounds here. It just needs to be fleshed out some more. Layer some source-melody variations over the empty patches of pad for starters. How about some distant arps, or a sound shooting from left to right like a shooting star, in the background? That would sure add interest to the cool spacey feel you've got going.

The song comes to a full stop right before 2:20. Seems like a perfect opportunity to put in an entire new section with unique writing and different textures.

I think the incredible minimalism in the intro and outro could maybe work, but there needs to be some more ideas going on in the middle!

NO (resubmit)