PikkuNaskit

Niki Rasmus

soundcloud.com/poikittais-suuntta

51740 is my user ID

Submission Information

GAME: the Legend of Zelda Four Swords

NAME OF ARRANGEMENT: Step to the Forest

ORIGINAL SONG: Sea of Trees

Game is for Game Boy Advanced, the multiplayer Zelda game. Composer is Yuko Takehara

Original Soundtrack:

This is my version of Sea of Trees. Electronic, not too complicated. Tried to keep it very simple.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Some of the chippy sounds are really badly balanced volume-wise, waaaay too loud/dry and up-front. The writing throughout the mix is super quantized and robotic. I love the vocal clips (but I love vocal clips!). Nice beefy kick, but the snare/hats/crashes are weak by comparison.

The breakdown at 1:56 is a great idea but the pads are sooooo loud and with such a long release it ends up sounding quite washed out. Lead writing in the breakdown is simple and repetitive. At 2:29 there are some SUPER cool bass ideas happening... but again the lead writing is really generic and repetitive, and the lead synth completely clashes with the high end of the bass.

Some cool ideas here, good start. It just needs some more groove and personalization and a huge amount of production love. I'd recommend posting this in the wip forum for some more feedback!

NO (resubmit)

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting stuff, Niki. Like OA, I think Chimpa covered the issues well, because I ended up agreeing with everything she said. The sound choice are cool, but the balance is very off, so a lot of parts are too loud, and (at least until 1:51) most of the parts are mixed too dryly. The additive ear candy brought in at 2:30 is glaringly too loud and kind of stomps out the melodic lead. There's got to be a way things could be EQed so that these sounds aren't competing with each other in the same frequency range. Small issue, but the final cymbal crash decayed too quickly. But yeah, take this to the Workshop forums and get some more advice on how you could tighten this up. This has some promise, but the production needs a ton of refinement to realize the potential of the arrangement.

NO