headphone reccomendations?

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy a set of nice headphones. I currently have a 10$ sony pair of MDR-CD60's, which are absolutely awful. They sound terrible, and when they're plugged into my amp, I have to have the volume up to like 90% just to hear anything.

I'm looking to spend 80-100$, and they'll be used on my marshall amp and desktop pc.

I'm sure there are lots of guys around here who know their gear...anyone want to make a reccomendation?

Im interested in seeing the headphones recomened also, as I've been using my PSP bundled heaphones up till last month when the dog tore the hell out of them. I have to say, they weren't that great in the first place. :?

Sennheiser HD280 Pro. Awesome headphones, cost $100 or so on Amazon and should have a similar price in stores. I got mine earlier this year, they have great sound and are closed. Compared to my previous headphones(Philips SBC HP890) they're a bit louder with a much cleaner sound(Less distortion towards the low or high ranges) I even picked up sounds I didn't really notice before in music tracks. Outside of that, most parts are user-replacable so if something breaks you can just order a replacement part and install it quite easily.

Mine are plugged in straight to my soundcard with no amp or anything in between.

As for earbuds(I expect that that's what you're looking for Terial) I've been using Sennheiser MX500s on my iPod. They have a volume control in the remote, are comfortable on your ears and also give a pretty damn good sound.

earbuds, headphones, doesn't matter as long as it COMPLETELY immerses me in the music. Im sure a good pair could do it well, but those heaphones only did it on a few songs as a apposed to my speaker setup, most notably the Symphonic Ruin remix, Lava Reach, and the Rusty Ruin Zone Tracks from Sonic 3D Blast (SS).

If i can get some heaphones to do that, im good. =) Give my ears some stimulation.

Ah, then you'd be better off with some nice closed headphones(Although there are some awesome earbuds that sound better, but chances are those are a lot more expensive)

As always though: Try before you buy. Go to a store so you can demo a few pairs, bring your own music if possible so you're not stuck listening to a store demo and try to test them on several systems rather than just one(Flat EQ helps)

Got a pair of Sony MDR-V600's, and they absolutely rock. I know a few people have complained about their durability, but I've had mine for several years now and they're still in excellent condition.

I recently got a pair of Sennheiser PX100's and couldnt be happier. they retail for about 50 but can find them online around 30ish.

cost to sound quality ratio can't be beat on these things. they are very portable, sound amazing, and even fold up into a carrying case.

only down side is they they leak sound a little bit, so if you're using them in a quite area it may be a problem. they do make a closed version (PX200), but the sound supposidly isn't as good.

doesn't matter as long as it COMPLETELY immerses me in the music

I ususally cant hear any outside noise on these unless I'm in a very noisy area (lunch room mainly) but everyday sounds arent heard at all. Since getting these I've been missing a lot of phone calls =D.

see if you can get your hands on a pair to try them out.

As for earbuds(I expect that that's what you're looking for Terial) I've been using Sennheiser MX500s on my iPod. They have a volume control in the remote, are comfortable on your ears and also give a pretty damn good sound.

I can second this. Just watch out, because if you put them in your pocket, the cushions over the buds come off easily :x I can imagine it happens with most earbuds.

Only $20.