OCR03004 - *YES* Biker Mice from Mars 'Rock and Ride'

WillRock

Remixer Name - WillRock

Remix Name: Rock and Ride

Game: Biker Mice from Mars (SNES)

Source: Race Theme 4 -

Oh man its been a LONG time since I've done a remix for OCR. Time to start again. Sooooooooooo I saw Stevo "Teh Beard" Bortz post a status on facebook using the Obscure Remixes group (which I strongly recommend looking at, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/3867...63639/?fref=ts). He had posted about Biker Mice From Mars for the SNES, and after listening to Race Theme 4, I got inspired.

Unlike my other more 80s style remixes, this one takes more from the 70s channelling some mega Deep Purple vibes, which the source was undoubtedly influenced by as well. I had a lot of fun with the sound design trying to get the sound of Jon Lords organ right :P (best keyboardist ever btw).

Anyways, fans of UFO, Deep Purple, Whitesnake and Uriah Heep should give this one a listen

I hope you all enjoy it :D

SOURCE BREAKDOWN (Like you guys will need it, short source)

0:01-0:14 Riff based on opening jingle from source

0:15-0:28 Main melody with variations (from 0:03 in source)

0:29-0:41 Opening riff based on jingle repeat

0:42-0:54 Slightly more conservative take on main melody

0:55-0:58 Opening of organ solo

1:14-1:27 Solo over Jingle Riff

1:40-2:06 Slowed down Main Melody

2:07-2:27 Riff with drum solos (total 8 seconds source)

2:28-3:08 Main Melody Variation

2:07 Prominent Source in 3:26 Remix

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so a WillRock song, hhhmmm let's listen. Again. Ok dude I already gave you my feedback on this like four times. *sigh*

Yeah this track is amazing. Arrangement, performances, mixing, all just great. I still can't believe those drums are sequenced, you did a great job with them. You're a terrific guitarist!

Fadeout ending? I AM OUTRAGED. Still,

YES

• 2 months later...

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: <-- those are not frustrated bangheads, but rather the most metal of headbanging bangheads that could possibly be.

There are a couple of nitpicks, I suppose--the drum solo sounds a bit weird to my drummer ears, and the song seems just a bit dry and not terribly well-placed in the stereo field (a bit narrow), but that's stylistic 'n stuff.

Folks, this song will put hair on your chest.

YES

Edited by Flexstyle

Didn't NEED to check it given how much the source was used, but I wanted to.

The track was 3:26-long, so I needed at least 103 seconds of overt source usage for the source material to be dominant.

:01.5-:19, 21-26, 28-36, 38-39, 40.75-54.5, 1:13.5-1:27.5, 1:40-2:02.5, 2:07.5-2:09, 2:11.5-2:13, 2:16-2:17.5, 2:20.5-2:22, 2:28-2:52, 2:55-3:14.75, 3:16.75-3:25 = 139.75 seconds or 67.8%

This literally sounds like Will attached a pair onto a really kiddie-sounding version of a "badass" theme. It's a fun source tune, so I'm not saying I disliked it, but this hard rock take... much stronger. Mas macho. With mice.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

The funny thing here is that the original SOUNDS LIKE WILL WROTE IT ;)

I'll say something briefly about the 70's vs 80's thing - Mr. Harby has a LOT of eighties in him. His future's so bright, he's gotta wear shades, if you know what I mean. So when he says he's gonna dial it back a decade, I'm skeptical. I'll say this much: I think he pulled it off on the GUITARS and the overall arrangement, but the drums still feel like they fell off the time machine and stayed in the decade of greed, to me. That's just my two cents and it really doesn't have that much bearing on the mix itself, but I'd actually love to hear Will do more stuff in the style of 70's bands - there are a lot of great ones, to be sure - so perhaps it's useful information nonetheless.

Regardless of the 70s/80s thing, I DO think the drums sometimes sit a little too dead center and get overpowered by the guits, making them feel smaller than they should, but it only happens once or twice.

Some wicked soloing and a big fuzzy guitar tone definitely bring out the Deep Purple.

Fadeout ending, well... not gonna lie, I'm not an AUTOMATIC hater of all fadeout endings EVER (like some people), but in this case it didn't sit entirely right - would have ended this one with a bang, not a whimper.

Nitpicks aside, love to hear Will covering an unmixed game and putting some seventies in his walk & his talk. This could have been a LITTLE better than it was, but it was still quite good, and a very fun ride!

YES