User ID: 52385

Submission Information:

Name of game arranged: Final Fantasy VII

Name of my remix: "Eyes Of A Soldier"

Name of individual song arranged: Judgement Day

Composer: Nobuo Uematsu

Game was released on Playstation, PC

Link to original track from game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfg3NmQFg-0

Comments on the mix: To me, "Judgement Day" evokes hope and courage. I tried to retain the emotion of the original track, while adding to the intensity by remixing it in a hard rock/metal style. The intro and guitar solo section are original, and I changed some of the rhythms as well.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Was a bit torn on whether or not to direct post this or not. I think the arrangement is excellent: great interpretation of the theme in terms of the style as well as some good rhythmic change-ups. The track sets a good tempo that drives the feeling of being determined and that's backed up well by the rhythmic section.

I felt like there were some sections that the lead guitars could have been a bit more forward in the track, and the balance wasn't quite where it should have been, which is why I went for paneling this instead. Hopefully the other more production-heavy judges can offer some advice for you for future submissions.

Great listen!

YES

• 1 month later...

This is a really nice arrangement of this source. Source material is readily apparent. The mix has great energy and really embodies the emotion of the source and the feeling of determination, while giving it that added rock/metal edge.

I'm finding the track well produced with one exception. The lead guitar that is playing the main melody (beginning at 0:37) sounds very low-mid heavy and almost honky to me. That honky tone really bothers me, most apparent at 1:39-2:07, where it is the most exposed. The tone of the guitar solo starting at 2:07 by contrast sounds just about perfect to me. When that low-mid heavy tone begins again at 2:32, the honky sound is almost startling against the nice tone of the solo.

I feel like the leads are generally far enough forward in the mix, I'm only bothered by that one timbre. I wonder if we could get a version with this tone eq'd a little better prior to posting.

edit 6/27/14: I won't hold this vote up. I've listened again and yes, the drums are a bit weak. The snare needs to have a heavier tone. The drums are quiet in general, crashes are soooo far back. I personally feel there is enough variation in the drumming, but yeah, let's get the timbres and volumes where they should be. And please re-eq that one lead. Track isn't far from passing, let's hear it again quickly.

NO(resubmit soon plz)

Edited by Chimpazilla

The drums were the weak link for me; the snare tone was weak, so the sound of it didn't really gel with the rest, plus its pattern plodded and the drumkit didn't adequately fill out the background, IMO.

There were super empty parts like 1:36-1:39 that needing more padding (not a big deal alone, but followed by 1:39-2:06 which also had that emptiness issue to an extent. There was also some pretty lame machine-gun effect stuff from 2:05-2:06, 2:17-2:18 & 3:38-3:44 that wasn't a dealbreaker on its own but just lacked polish.

The writing of the soloing from 2:06-2:33 was a true highlight.

The arrangement was conservative but decently personalized, and the guitar performance was expressive enough to get by, though the timing was a bit stilted in places. So what the percussion takes away, the rest almost carries it. I'm not hardcore against this passing, but feel this could be solidly over the line if some of the minor things that added up here with the percussion and emptier spots.

It's definitely a contender, so I don't mean to be discouraging, Chris, because I like the potential here, but I'm not quite there yet with feeling this measures up. Good luck with the rest of the vote though. If it doesn't pass, you definitely have the ability to ensure it does with some tweaks.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta agree with Larry. The drums feel like they're on auto-pilot for most of the time and the kit's just a really weak soundset. Compared to the awesome sounding guitar work, it's such a disconnect that's kind of jarring. That percussion really need to be beefed up; I really don't think it's doing a good enough job of adding any energy to the song.

Love the rest of it though.

NO, resub

I'm gonna cast my vote alongside Larry and Shariq. Those drums definitely need some TLC. While you're at it, there's a harsh high-mid frequency in the guitar tones that I'm hearing, which could definitely stand to be toned down. The arrangement and playing chops are definitely all there, though, so this should be a pretty easy fix. If you need help with getting those drums down pat, the Workshop forum can probably help you out quite a bit!

Looking forward to seeing this back soon!

NO (resub!)