Mail:

ID forum: 30998

Game & Songs: Saga Frontier 2 & Thema - Missgestalt

Composer: Masashi HAMAUZU

Link:

Thema:

Missgestalt:

Hi OCR!

When I discovered this OST, I was bewitched so this melody was beautiful. I could listen it in a loop, again and again. To tribute its great composer, I tried to make my own arrangement :)

There are several influences in this mix: piano solo, exotic, dark symphonic, with some electronic elements and a rhythm thought in a metal style. I found interesting to combine these different styles.

The title is owed to the two atmospheres I wanted to create in this mix, peaceful and exotic at the beginning and really dark with the final boss theme.

Hoping you’ll enjoy this mix :)

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 months later...

The timing of the 30-second opening sounded too rigid. After moving into the meat of the piece at :30, I thought the soundscape initially sounded too thin, but was willing to see where this went. At :56, I thought the texture had a few crowded spots that weren't a huge deal (e.g. 1:02-1:12). Most of the time though, the sequencing felt too rigid.

The transition to the militaristic drumming at 1:48 sounded very poor, with drums that sounded very flat and had no body to them and also had very unrealistic, machine-gun style triggering. Unfortunately, everything about the execution of the drums sounded very messy. Meanwhile, the other instruments sounded thin, so the combination of thin, mechanically-timed leads alongside loud drums didn't work.

The arrangement was creative, and of course I'm a huge fan of Hamauzu and SaGa Frontier 2's soundtrack. But the sample quality, overly rigid sequencing, and poor mixing all held this back in a huge way. It would definitely take a big leap in production quality to get this track where it needs to be to make it, I'm afraid. You're a good arranger, Guillaume, but the tools you used for this piece are preventing you from making it sound reasonably realistic.

NO

Intro piano is way too mechanical and sounds totally fake. The timbre is nice, so the super-quantized and all-equal-velocity sequencing is quite a shame. With humanization, this intro could flow and would be quite nice and emotional.

At 0:30, you've got a soft instrumentation concept here, but that heavy relentless kick just kills it. It's way too loud and rigidly sequenced, giving it zero groove.

From 0:30 to 1:48, I'm having a hard time discerning what is playing lead, the instruments are soft and thin and not mixed cleanly (competing for space with each other), as well as getting completely clobbered by that kick. Everything is rigidly sequenced.

I don't feel like this drum kit fits with the instrumentation at all. At 1:48 you have a somewhat cinematic soundscape starting up, and the kick and snare are playing a metal style that is decimating the music. Kick and snare are way too loud, not mixed well with the rest of the instrumentation, and the drumkit itself does not match or compliment the other instrumentation.

Sometimes combining genres works well but I don't think it is working here. I think you need to decide if this track is meant to be cinematic or metal, and since the writing is cinematic, I recommend replacing the metal-style drumming altogether with some orchestral or cinematic drumming with appropriate samples used.

Ok so there's a two-second silence at 3:40, then more rigid piano, very similar to the intro. This outro might work if it were connected to the previous part with some kind of transition, and again the piano must be humanized. The writing throughout the entire track is quite rigid and needs to be humanized.

NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...