Tips for a sound synthesis noob

Necrox

Check my sig for a link to my remixing guide. It has a few bits about sound design and synthesis (and maybe some other useful stuff).

I think it's one of those things that comes with time, listening, and practice. I've been trying to figure out what makes sounds go well together, and how to change sounds to make them fit better, but I'm not sure I've figured anything out. If I have, it's probably in that guide of mine.

There is a bunch of different approaches to learning synthesis and sound design…

Like you said, messing around is a great method, but try messing around with a goal ;-P

When I am trying to make a specific sound I often just find something similar and tweak it the best I can … that way you learn a lot of basic parameters... and learn to sort out special timbres and sound qualities in what you hear...

Do that a lot and after a while you will automatically analyze all the sounds you hear and break it down into waveforms or methods of synthesis...

SoundOnSound had a great (looong) series on different synthesis that I found really helpful: Synth Secrets

Pages like this one:

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/the-40-greatest-synth-sounds-of-all-time-ever-306114/1

..might be helpful to learn «what synthesis» is good for making different sounds…

(..I don’t always agree with the solutions in the last one, but still fun to read ..always learning something)

..happy geeking!

-l

The SoundOnSound set of articles is a good read. There's a lot to digest, though, and I suggest taking your time with it. Other than those articles, I recommend the books by Fred Welsh. His synth cookbooks are great for study and reference. They've been around for a long time but that sort of information will always carry on to just about any synth that has some basis in subtractive synthesis.

Messing around is key. Apart from that, reading up a bit on the basic components of a subtractive synth helps a lot.

Pick a synth that is simple as your first one. Make it your workhorse. Messing around with a simple setup, you will start to notice patterns while twiddling knobs. Nothing more is needed, just patience. have fun

I recommend charlatan vsti.

http://www.blaukraut.info