The Epic Rainbow Road Piano Medley (MarioKart)

Bowlerhat

Good day,

I know that medleys aren´t preferred, but I just couldn´t help myself this time. Every rainbow road is in it´s one key, except for the first version of MKDS. However, when it´s repeated at the end it is in it´s own key. I tried to keep the arrangement interesting by a couple of harmonisations, and a a signature change. My pianoplaying isn´t virtuosic so there are a couple of wrong notes and slight unnatural tempo changes, but since this isn´t the final version, I can always get a perfect recording when I´m fully done with this remix.

https://soundcloud.com/jorik-bergman/the-epic-rainbow-road-piano-medleymp3

Sources:

What, only 8 rainbow road sources? No F-Zero rainbow road? ;)

At 0:39 I started imagining this as a ballet. Rather pleasant in that regard. :)

And although my ear for identifying melody isn't the greatest, I'm not hearing this as a medley: every part seems different enough that it doesn't come across as a medley.

But the recording quality seems off in places?

I'm hearing static in my headphones throughout: 0.10-11, 1:00, 1:48, 1:50, 2:00-2:03, . . .

• 2 weeks later...

You know, this sounds really good! I only have a few complaints.

1. The recording quality leaves much to be desired. This medley/ReMix would improve so much if you could get a solid sound, removing the static that is present throughout most of the climax.

2. Transition better between style. I love the stylistic choices you have for each source, but smoothing the shifts would make it amazing!

Overall, this actually doesn't seem like a medley. I'm no judge, or mod for that matter, but with a little work this could be submission worthy!

Ah yes, I wholeheartedly agree with all of you. At the moment, I've already finished my arrangement, but I want to use some better recordingmaterial, so I haven't recorded it yet. To make the flow seem more whole and medley-ish, I've changed the order, and thus some weird transitions. And I've also changed all the songs to a 3/4 classical genre. When I'm going to record, I'm also going to use a better piano, because the piano I used last time is pretty worndown. So those changes should make everything better. I'll try to get a better recording as fast as possible.

So I've stealed some better recording material, and made the whole a little more coherent. The perfomance still isn't perfect yet, but it's somewhat acceptable. When I've got a final version I might have enough patience to get a perfect take. I personally think it's a little long, but that could be because there's so much source material. It's shorter than my previous version, though.

https://soundcloud.com/jorik-bergman/route-de-arc-en-ciel

It'd be nice to get some constructed feedback, especially on the arranging. The recording is pretty clean this time, and the performance could be a lot better.

Why is the piano panned hard left? It's also very quiet in volume.

The arrangement is cool, I like the 3/4. There are some parts where the bass note sounds wrong though, but I'm not sure if that's how you arranged it or if that was a mistake.

It sounds very promising, but I can't really get a good feel of it with everything being panned hard left... Only criticism I'd have is that the arrangement is too homogeneous. You're doing a solo piano piece! Emphazise the stronger sections, speed up or slow down every once in a while! It sounds static.

I think that the arrangement is very good, and stylistically is much better. I don't have much against it, or critique to give. However, the recording is a different story.

It is much better, but it is quiet and left panned. Just center it, and be expressive with your performance. Add some contrast, and it will improve a TON.

Either way, looking for the next addition.

Yes, I agree. I've already recorded a new version with more dynamic differences and stuff like that, and without any wrong notes. But instead of having everything panned to the left, the whole piece is now panned to the right... So tomorrow, when I have time, I'm going to center everything and post it. It's probably finished by then.

I consider this mostly finished. I could always make little adjustments, but I don't think I can really improve this without any drastic changes. If anyone knows some improvements, then I'm still interested in hearing them, though. And I could also throw the initial remix overboard and make drastic changes if it is required. But before any big plans I'd first need some constructive critism. So if anyone has anything to say about this, then it would be greatly appreciated.

https://soundcloud.com/jorik-bergman/route-de-art-en-cielemp3