Remix Guidlines

romandawesome

Substantively, that's not your own arrangement, no. The MIDI was the arrangement. We need some level of creative interpretation as well.

Check Section 4 here: http://ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions

If it's ripped from the ROM, even the MIDI itself isn't an arrangement - it's the original composition, just converted.

If it's an existing MIDI arrangement from vgmusic.com or similar, there *IS* at least the possibility that with extensive remastering/rendering AND the full consent/permission of the arranger, you could submit a collaboration.

So if I were to say change up the drums completely, change the instrumentation, and get permission from the composer I could submit it?

Technically, if you get permission, then yes, you can submit it (though really the original composer should submit it), but there is no guarantee that the arrangement will be substantially different enough to pass.

I think your focus should be more on rearranging the game's theme rather than reproducing it directly. Create your own backing, and when you are writing the melodies from the original, give it a bit of your own flair. Let it sound similar to the original, but put a grace note here or there, or organize the melody in a more approachable way that is still familiar to people who hear it.

OCR isn't really about remasters or covers, it's more about the re-arrangement. There's some mixes that are more conservative, but still in that case the conservative mixes don't rely on notes/data that were ripped from the game or taken from a midi. There's nothing wrong with doing remasters/covers for say, YouTube, but it's not really the goal of OC ReMix.

Ok then what I'll probably do is just use the main flutes(cause if I recreated it it would be literly the same) and recreate everything else would that work(the song is endless battle from fire emblem 12)?

The point of the differences is to show the effort in transforming the source tune and the personalization that can be put into remixing it. Even if the instruments are different, if the notes and dynamics are too close to the same, then it still counts as a MIDI-exact arrangement. We don't forbid conservative remixes, but we do try to encourage a substantially different interpretation in the notes, instrumentation, mixing, and overall structure.