original medieval/renaissance/baroque times composition Competition round 1

GSO

Periods you can choose from

Medieval(500 AD-1499 AD)(approximately)

Renaissance(1500 AD-1700 AD)(approximately)

Baroque(1700 AD-1800 AD)(approximately)

to enter: send me a PM on OCR titled medieval/renaissance/baroque times composition Competition round 1 with a file and/or link to your song that also states your round 1 period choice

deadline for round one is March 17, 2015 5pm MST

Rules:

1.You Must use period correct Instruments & period correct techniques.

2. Have Fun.

*I will decide who wins each round based on overall faithfulness to a chosen period's techniques.

the point of this compo is to Put together a Consort/Chamber Ensemble consisting of these three genres on OCR. and no I have not decided on prizes yet

Edited by GSO

Well it's about time someone did a compo with stylistic requirements! But yea, this one is kind of dropped with no warning. If there wasn't already a bunch of stuff going on i'd be totally up for it. I have been meaning to use Best Service's Medieval Legends for an OCRemix for ages!

It should be pointed out that the differences between these periods is subtle to most. It would take more than a month of study to really understand the differences between these periods and THEN expect a ReMix of them. An original music competition would be far easier in this respect.

I support the idea but suggest that maybe the compo could be changed to Early, Baroque, Classical, Romantic style choices of western music. Just a sugg but the differences between these styles would be far more pronounced.

good luck with the compo!

Interesting idea for a compo, but I'm going to have to warn you right now - the limitations on source material per round (especially with how big the individual FF scores are in general), the equally limiting genre scope, plus the decision NOT being done by popular vote, would all contribute to there not being all that great of a turnout.

You said the point of the compo is to "raise awareness" for those classical genres... well again, compos aren't compos because they "raise awareness" for anything -

* The PRC may "raise awareness" on something, but it's only a BGM that isn't represented on OCR for two weeks at a time.

* Meat n' Potatoes encourages a more conservative approach to arranging regardless of source style.

* The knockout tourneys encourage people to work with more than one source at a time and make them blend seamlessly.

* And then there's the Wily Gauntlet, which encourages teamwork.

If you want to "raise awareness" for classical genres, it may be better off as a project. But then again, you're already doing a kickstarter to get an FF9 project of a similar style off the ground.

Outside from that, if it's something you're interested in doing, it should encourage YOU to try and write some of these classical arrangements yourself and get assistance on the way to make them the best they can be.

(These are merely my two cents and do not reflect the opinions of OC Remix as a whole.)

There's not enough information in your first post. You haven't given a lot of details about the structure of your competition. You indicate you have a round 1, which implies some kind of multi-round structure? Are there sign-ups? Is there a running scoreboard?

What kind of resources exist for people who are trying to remix in these styles? Wikipedia and a sample isn't really enough. Why isn't period appropriate instrumentation enforced when instrumentation is such a huge part of the writing process in these styles?

Also I don't understand why you very specifically call out six source tunes from Final Fantasy but then also say "and originals." Is this a remix competition or a composition competition? You need to focus in on one or the other. Focus down. Choose one source that's simple. You're not going to get a lot of people attempting Dancing Mad in a baroque style. That's a massive piece of music to arrange in any style.

What is even happening here? Is this a competition or is this a request? I realize there is a fine line between the two, but it's coming off as the latter rather than the former. You need to edit your first post with more of an explanation of the goals of this competition. "Raising awareness" isn't really enough.

You also say that you're going to pick the winner. How is this going to work? Competitions can be run this way; there's no rule that says winners must be picked through voting, but you really need to be prepared to review and judge every submission and be prepared to articulate why and how each piece does or does not meet the criteria that you're selecting the winner by. Anything else would be irresponsible as a compo runner. I'm not saying you're incapable of doing this but even 3 entries is going to amount to a lot of work.

I see you changed the compo to a composition one, and the point now being to form a baroque ensemble. You so realise that this is better off being a recruitment idea, right?

Look, I've seen you around OCR and you're struggling to get your ideas off the ground. I feel your best option at this point is a one-to-one talk with a member of staff.

Edited by Rexy