Great Music ideas... that are from another song?

Necrox

There's a famous old sci-fi story, I forget which one, in which artistic expression entirely stops because all the ideas have been used already.

I think OCR goes a long way in showing how even a "used" idea can create original music.

I've actually thought about this before; when will someone's ideas run out? Since music is an art that has an openness to it, there shouldn't be limitations on what you "ought" to do, because once you begin to write something under certain "rules", you limit what original material you can come up with that falls into your boundaries. There generally are previous references to consider, but they aren't necessary to consider in an "A/B" way.

The advice I've found from zircon essentially says that if you go with the flow and write what is on your mind, and you develop that skill, it'll be much longer before you run out of ideas. Like zircon, I don't always end up writing precisely what I envision, but it still usually turns out the way I want it, even if it doesn't match my original vision. ...And other times it really does turn out exactly like I want it, in which case I get really excited about it and polish it beyond belief (that we call inspiration!).

So basically, even if what you write was already previously written, just see how you can change it up. Plenty of ways to differentiate; just gotta figure out how you want to do it.

Edited by timaeus222

You've just described what composing is. :razz:

Yes.. literally this.. beyond the fact that remixing is based on existing songs (obviously) almost anything you can think of has already been done, and in a LOT of cases you end up subconsciously drawing from melodies or progressions you've heard even since childhood. Like if you make a progression that sounds like "Wheel in the Sky" by Journey, it's because your dad played it on loop over and over when you were a baby. (true story)