Happy Birthday Chrono Trigger!

Wiesty

"How bout those Dogers?" Ha! Seriously you youngster have no idea what it was like when you beat a game, back in my day, only to find soooo many endings (yes around 15? a lot being roughly the same with little change, was a lot back then!) We got the Leene and Frog ending ( deviant art, before Deviant Art) The Dream team ending ( I felt like I knew the whole development team after that!)

Go watch the camp fire scene and tell me there is not a HUGE mythos hidden within the story line, seriously right now, go, go...(see Fioana's Side quest) I'll just say this...the one word I most associate with CT...Medina...I'll leave it at that

I knew Chrono Trigger would be something special even before I played the game. I was with a friend of mine and his mom at the local rental store (it's kinda like Netflix that you have to physically go to to rent or return movies or games, for the younger forum goers) and we were told to pick out one game. I saw Chrono Trigger on the shelf and the box just captivated me and I recalled reading about this game in, I think, Nintendo Power just days before and managed to talk my friend into picking it. We went back to his house and fired the game up in his room and were just blown away. The visuals, the sound, running around the Millennial Fair (doing a bunch of things we'd regret later), and going back in time to save the girl we just met there.

Eventually I got a copy of the game for myself as a Christmas present. To this day, Chrono Trigger is still my number one favorite RPG and ranks among my all time favorites in general. Happy birthday Chrono Trigger!

Chrono Trigger was my entry into the world of video games. I was about 6 when I was first introduced to it. My older brother had rented it and I was really intrigued by the game. I had no concept of the story or dialogue, but the music and imagery drew me in and I watched him play it on a daily basis. He then sat me down and taught me how to play through it and ever since then I've been hooked on JRPGs. I remember that it was available to rent at a local video store and I must have rented it every weekend for about a year. I was the only kid that rented it and as soon as I walked into the store the workers new which game I was grabbing. The music also had an extremely large impact on my development as a musician and from a young age I was figuring out the game's music by ear on the piano. I've been a part of many fan based projects through various groups and through Chrono Compendium, SquareSound (Dhsu would remember this site well ;-)). As this game has had such a large impact on my life I decided a tribute album was in order which is why I'm leading a project to release an album by my group the OC Jazz Collective in August. Hard to believe this game has been out for 2 decades!

I think I was in 7th grade when it came out? I remember seeing ads for it in Game Informer or Nintendo Power or something, and I thought it looked really interesting. Plus, it was from Squaresoft, who already made a bunch of great RPGs, so this one had to be good, right? Good is kind of an understatement. The raw scope of the entire storyline, despite it being a relatively short game, just blew me away. There wasn't anything else like it back then. The battle system, the graphics, the music -- all just incredible.

I can't believe it's been 20 years since it came out, which may be why newer gamers have a hard time understanding just how revolutionary the game was, since it basically set a lot of new standards for every RPG released after it and every RPG has tried to emulate its scale in some dimension or another.