*NO* Mystic Ark 'Golden Threads of Memories'

Chimpazilla

Contact Information

·        Your ReMixer name

• Michael Lochlann

·        Your email address

·        Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile

Submission Information

·        Name of game(s) arranged

• 7th saga 2 mystic ark

·        Name of arrangement

• I wish I could just call it Threads of Memories
  • But let’s go with Golden Threads of Memories

·        Name of individual song(s) arranged

• Threads of Memories
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)
  • Composed by Akihiko Mori
  • I came across this amazing tune while hunting for SNES soundtracks.  I’ve never played the game, nor do I follow the composer, but this song really spoke to me and reminds me both of my own style and of those who I admire like Steven Wilson.  The arrangement is straightforward as I didn’t want to stray too far from the original song, yet I added some elements to the 2nd part to give it its own character and build it up.  I tried to think of memories and people that were important to me as I performed the parts.  Adding to the emotion was the fact that the composer, Akihiko Mori, died of cancer shortly after composing this soundtrack; so I tried to convey the feeling of sharing how treasured your memories were with someone while you are on the hospital bed in your last days.

I wrote some lyrics to it, which I was going to sing over the piano for the first part.  Still working on my singing, though, so I left it out, but I think they fit the song and the idea so I’ll share them.
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

they say
i don't have much time
so i'd 
like to clear my mind

thank you for all of your time
thank you for all of the smiles

my dearest friend
i'll miss you so
i wish i did
not have to go

please don't cry for me
just be happy
i'll meet you on
the other side.

----------------------------------

Chimp note:  I cannot find the source tune on youtube but here it is.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There sure is a hiss in the beginning.  The piano chord backing gets repetitive for me.  When the bass begins at 0:57 it sounds quite upfront and sounds as if it were recorded in a totally separate room from the piano (which is quite reverby).  When the guitar begins at 2:11, it sounds pasted on top to my ears, not mixed in well, but the performance is good.  The string backing is super plain and too loud and there's an arp in the background that is obscured by the loud string padding.  Even the drums are obscured by the string pad.  The ending is really abrupt and cuts off before the end of the reverb tail (or is that a hiss tail?).  I do like this arrangement but I think there needs to be a bit of mixing cleanup and de-hissifying happening before we pass this.

NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At first I didn't find the hiss too off-putting, especially once the music filled out, it was far less noticeable. That said, I am not against this going back for a pass of de-hissing, especially after hearing the abrupt cut off at the end of the track which made its presence much more noticeable.

Mixing wise, things felt ok until the guitar came in. I felt it off balanced the stereo mix being panned slightly to the left and being as loud as it is. I didn't have major problems with tone, but I do agree it has a pasted on feel, which may be due to the instrument being dry. The mix also gets quite busy in spots, with strings, piano, guitar, drums all fighting for your attention. I would like to see some rebalancing done on the track so everything has its place and the parts are more audible. If necessary, consider pulling back or removing some parts during the busier sections.

I was quite surprised when the mix ended, it felt quite abrupt. I really felt an outro was needed, even if it was a selection of peeled back layers before finishing.

Overall I think these few issues need to be addressed before green lighting this mix. 

NO

• 1 month later...

The arrangement ideas was pretty nice, though the mixing issues are a bit too apparent for this to get my vote. The hiss at the beginning, the guitar being a bit too prominent, and the drums being a bit too far back all add up. 

Structure-wise this needs an ending. It felt like a nice lead up and then you just got a text or something and needed to stop. Having a nicely composed ending or even a further progression of the track would be much preferred.

This definitely has promise but needs more work. I am excited to hear a resubmission!

No, please resubmit