*NO* Kirby 64 'Moonlit Ruins'

Liontamer

Mixer Name: EccoBlackfin

E-mail: moonblade777@gmail.com

No forum ID

~ReMix Info~

Game Name: Kirby 64-The Crystal Shards

Original Title: Ruins

Game Info: The composers were Jun Ishikawa and Hirokazu Ando. I'm not exactly sure which one made this song, but Jun's name is in the ID3v2 tag of the song so I used him as the composer.

Original soundtrack link:

Original song link:

Remix link:

Comments: I used to listen to this song frequently on console, leaving it on overnight at times. I found it as a MIDI someplace, and basically thought, "Hmm, how hard could it be to make a real and decent version of this song?" Intending at first to give it an 'underwater' feel, I recently found that what you originally intend on doing and what the finished product is are usually quite different. After 13 1/2 months(first time actually making a full song), this is what I created, and I'm rather proud of it. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------

So you've managed to give the original more of an underwater feel; that's certainly good, but where's the rest?

The arrangement's basically a genre adaptation that's just as repetitive as the original. Right down to adapting the supporting instrumentation; there's nothing unique about adapting all of the parts nearly verbatim to another genre.

Some pads came in at :58, and that was about the only (subtle) change in dynamics the whole way. No big deal, but the fadeout at the end didn't actually fade out, leaving the track to cut out abruptly at 3:32.

Interpretation and variation, plz. The source tune submitted as an OC ReMix wouldn't pass. Using the same formula in a conservative arrangement wouldn't fare any differently. I may seem harsh here, but that's just holding up the track to the standards.

Nothing wrong with taking those initial baby steps, but now you gotta get more creative on the arrangement side. Sorry, bro; better luck next sub though.

NO

• 1 month later...

Alright, so you've found a very pleasant soundscape for your interpretation of the Ruins theme. Much nicer than those piercing bells in the original! Good on you, but that's only the first step in getting a remix passed here. Granted, you also slowed the tempo, which was a nice change... but then it's cruise control for the next three minutes of the piece.

You've gotta remember that OCR exists for the appreciation and *reinterpretation* of video game music. You can't submit something that basically loops identical material for the entire duration of the song, because a) that means you're not leaving room for original stuff, and B) that's the kind of format you'd hear it in a game, not a remix.

If you decide to resubmit this, I'd also suggest working on rounding out your instrument range. You have a pedal tone in the bass, and that's it. Get that bass moving around! It would really help break up some of the monotony.

NO