djpretzel

Not sure on title, since he wasn't :)

-djp

---

Submission Information 

• Name of game(s) arranged
    • Journey to Silius
  • Name of arrangement
    • (I am unsure how to answer this - metal genre?)
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged
    • The Silius Underground - Metal Madness Remix
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)
    • SpudSpudson - composer
    • System - NES
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.
    • I am thrilled to do this remix. My friend and I have talked about covering the music for this game in the style of metal. I decided to put something together that makes it obvious that it is Stage 2 of the game, but I wanted to add somewhat of a twist to it. I used a lot of accents, and I used a 7-string guitar, since it relies heavily on the B5 chord. Enjoy!

-Adam

------------------------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 months later...

I like the idea of where you're going for this, but right now it's got some production issues that need to be addressed. Right away the synths sound very mechanical, and that arpeggiated synth is a bit grating at times. When the guitars come in things get a little better in the mix, but I'm noticing that the low end feels really lacking. Similarly, the percussion has some variation, but feels repetitive for a lot of the mix. The kick and snare both are very weak, as well.

The arrangement has some good moments, though I do feel like there could be a bit more arrangement in the structure and melodies. Some of the harmonies you added felt really good though!

You're on the right track here, but this definitely needs some work. This is a good option for our WIP forums, I encourage you to check them out and get some more feedback!

NO (resubmit)

• DragonAvenger changed the title to 2015/04/07 (1N) - Journey to Silius 'Metal Madness'

Yeah, definitely agreed with DragonAvenger on the issues. The synth sequencing was very stiff, and the electric guitar work sounded too muddy and was also drowning out the supporting elements; it's difficult to appreciate the textures here because it's hard to make out the individual parts. Agreed as well on the drums being weak, and this needing even more interpretation despite moving in the right direction. The move back to the opening synth at 3:05 wasn't a good move; the synth just sounds anemic.

It's a decent start, Adam, but you'll definitely need to improve your balance between the parts and get the sequenced instruments sounding less stiff. DA's right that this would be a great mix to get feedback on in the Workshop. If you're not interested in revisiting this one though, definitely still use the Workshop to get feedback and advice to help improve your skills. On the arrangement side, you show good potential!

NO (resubmit)

Not a bad start. There are a couple things here which really need to be done to get things past the mark, but I feel they're certainly achievable. This will echo much what the judges have already said.

• The track overall is lacking in bass - pretty much all instruments have had their low end high pass filtered out. This isn't actually a bad place to be in though, as adding/restoring bass IMO is far easier than removing it. Consider the following:
    • I think you could replace your kick and snare with something with a lot more low end so they stand out more. At the moment they are mostly little pops and don't portray the sense of power that the mix is going for when the guitars come in.
    • You could really bring your bass out more and have it occupy the lower frequency range to make everything more beefed up.
    • Your guitars had a decent enough tone but could do with some low end. However, I would hold off on this before implementing the above because you may not need to touch them.
  • The stiff sequencing in your synths doesn't worry me as much because I saw them as intended to be chiptune to the grid, but you could do something there to vary it up including playing with your velocities and perhaps tweaking the patches over time.

I think otherwise the arrangement is fairly passable but you do need to work on your overall mixing and bass levels to get it closer where it needs to be. Further tweaks may be needed after getting more bass into the track but play it by ear. So far it's a 

NO