Name of Game(s) Remixed: Aleste 2
Additional Game information:
   System: MSX2
   Developer: Compile
   Genre: Vertical scrolling shooter
   Released: 1989
   Composer: Masatomo Miyamoto, Toshiaki Sakoda, Sydon Inoue

Name of Arrangement: Flying High

Names of song arranged: Area 1 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWKwthD7_rs)

Comments about the mix:

This is a remix of the area 1 song from the MSX shooter Aleste 2 that I created as a bonus entry for MnP21. It started out as an experiment with Realivox Blue, the instrument that does the vocals. I was playing around with it, it sounded quite nice and the rest of the song more or less took off all by itself.

After the main part of the song was done, I added the intro and the break, giving it a bit of an ethereal, otherworldly touch. Not sure about the style name, but I'd like to dub it "Ethereal Italo".

Lyrics:

Flying High
Through the sky
(4x)

Flying...
Fighting for freedom
Victory for Aleste

Flying High
Heroes of the sky
Raise your battle cry
Aleste will survive

Flying High
Through the sky
(2x)

Cheers,
Jorrith

• 3 months later...

I like how you slowed this down to give this a different, more majestic, feel from the original. Overall the arrangement is fun, but I have a few complaints that I think need to be addressed. First is the end of every vocal that ends in y. They all have an added "e" sound that is really distracting. Not sure if that is a fault of the program, but it's really not working as-is.

The other issue is the mechanical-ness of all of the backing synths. Everything feels very blocky and super stiff. This is really noticeable due to the melody being slowed down and having a lot of held out notes, so there is a drawback to adding the majesty. I'd consider working with some vibrato along with humanizing the parts overall. Adding some backing rhythm changes and variations will help in that regard as well. 

Good start here, but this needs some work yet. Good luck, I'd like to hear this again!

No (resubmit)

Source is easily recognizable.  Deia covered the issues quite well.  That vocal is really nice, but the added syllable at the end blows the effect.  The vocal is so ethereal, and then all the other synths sound dry and blocky by comparison, and the synth sounds are on the generic side.  The synth writing is generally rigid which doesn't match with the flowy vocal, but it may work better if some tasteful reverb/delay was applied to the synths.  The drums are weak in the mix and the writing is repetitive.  Sidechaining your kick to the backing synths will help also.  I agree with Deia that this is a good start, and I would also like to hear this again!

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/04/12 - (2N) Aleste 2 (MSX) 'Flying High'

DA and Chimpazilla highlighted the issues here.  The added vowel is very distracting and ruins the effect.  I think the vocals work really well outside of that.  I would have liked the snare to have a bit more presence and splash to it, sounds slightly opaque as it is.  The sound design on some of the leads like at 1:03 is overly simple.  Yes, in Italo you don't have the most complex sound design of electronic music genres but I'm sure you could do much better than what sounds like a simple saw with some unison.  The lead at 2:013 works much better because it has better articulation and is less static.

The backing instruments suffer from the same issues, and could use more personality.  The arrangement is good, and your genre idea is AWESOME.  I really like this and will probably steal this style for a future remix :P.  

I really like this idea, and I think it's much closer to the bar than the other judges.  Please work on it and resubmit.

NO (Resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to *NO* Aleste 2 (MSX) 'Flying High'
  • Sir_NutS locked this topic