*NO* Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) 'Broken Puppet'

djpretzel

You know, I liked this. A little long, but I had fun. You may too. Soundcloud says it's Act 2, but email said Act 1.

-djp

---

Remix link: 

-PERP3TUAL
---Charles Gruerio
---

Submission:
- Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn Ver.)
- Broken Puppet
- Panic Puppet Zone Act 1
--- My first submission! This remix was inspired by the works of Sim Gretina and the Big Room genre. I wanted to express the aggression and animosity of situation where the song occurs. This is the base of operation for Eggman in this game and it shows; the large scope of the factory so much so that the levels below are fade into darkness, the uninvited combination of soft metallic browns and silvers and the hazardous situations that are made just to stop Sonic. I wanted to give it an oppressive tone while keeping the energetic style of Sonic music.
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 months later...

I can't actually tell which act this is a remix of.  I'm leaning toward Act 2, but somebody help me.  So this will be a production and arrangement critique.

The writing is so repetitive during the buildup from 1:04 to 1:35 and the bass stabs get out of control loud at 1:22-1:24.  At 1:36, I'm ready for a huge drop, and when it hits I hear some nice deep sidechaining holes in the track but WHERE IS THE KICK???  It sounds like you rendered with the kick muted.  Also there are wubs in there, but wow are they buried.  Those need to be louder, beefier, and wide, with some nice shimmer on them.  All the way to 2:40, the writing is so repetitive, it's literally the same patterns over and over.  The breakdown is pretty simple at 2:40 but it's a nice respite.  Then another buildup... let's see what we get... another looooong buildup, a filter sweep and then..... wait what?  This part is quiet.  I think that little quiet section is in the wrong place, you hyped me for another drop.  When the drop happens finally at 3:52 it is an exact repetition of the kick-free first drop.  At least both drops were preceded by the word "drop," which I appreciate because I'm not really sure they are drops. :-P

The track needs mixing cleanup, needs an audible kick, and needs that second drop to have some variation from the first drop section.  Some changes in instrumentation and groove as the track evolves would also be a very good improvement and would go a long way toward fixing the repetitive feel of the track.  I would love to hear this again with those issues addressed.

NO (resubmit)

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2015/04/18 - (1N) Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) 'Broken Puppet'

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure which act this is a remix of, there are elements of both.  Not that they are very different.

The kick is all click and 0 punch or sub.  The compression needs to be lax on the overall mix, it's not creating artifacts but the overall mix is suffering from not enough dynamics.  the bp filter pass at 1:17 needs better control on the resonance because when it's scanning through the low frequencies it's obscuring everything else.  

The arrangement is very repetitive.  Yes, it's trance, but you could afford shaking things up a little more.  Sections like 2:22 were a good oportunity to shake things up but you used the same repeated patterns and a static background.  There's a lot copy-paste going on, which could be less exposed.

This is on the right track but needs a second pass.  Fix your kick, shake up things on the arrangement side.  Less repetitiveness is not a must for me, but it would be a plus.

NO (Resubmit)

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/04/18 - (2N) Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) 'Broken Puppet'

I'm in agreement with the previous votes here. The production issues are definitely something that needs to be addressed here. The kick is definitely the biggest issue, though I agree that the compression is pretty high and is causing the dynamic range to be affected. I'll also agree that having some more variation overall would help keep this a little more interesting, though I understand that some of that comes with the genre itself. 

Good start here, and any of the production work you put in will be good for not only this mix but helping you improve in general. Keep at it!

NO (resubmit)

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2015/04/18 - *NO Sonic 3D Blast (SAT) 'Broken Puppet'