OCR03328 - *YES* Bravely Default 'Virgin Mojito at Bubble Joseph's'

djpretzel

Crazy source tune, crazy arrangement, crazy title. Gotta dig it... see what yall thinks.

-djp

---

Contact Information

>       ReMixer name: HeavenWraith
>       Real name: Antanas Palaitis
>       E-mail: 
>       Website: http://www.heavenwraithmusic.net
>       Forum user ID: 50325

Submission Information

>       Game: Bravely Default
>       ReMix Name: Virgin Mojito At Bubble Joseph's
>       Original Name: 歪なる思念 其の名は魔王 (I don't know the official translation, because the track's not on the soundtrack CDs)
>       Original Author: Kamanaka "Revo" Yasuo (I think officially the artist of the OST album is Linked Horizon)
>       Link to the file: 
>       Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDi3Olyp02w

Source breakdown:
Source -> Remix
0:00-0:06 -> 0:33-0:45
0:22-0:34 -> 0:51-1:09
0:06-0:22 -> 1:09-1:29
0:22-0:34 -> 1:29-1:48
1:08-1:31 -> 1:48-2:23
1:36-1:42 -> 2:23-2:28
2:34-2:51 -> 3:03-3:17
0:22-0:34 -> 3:30-3:47
2:05-2:27 -> 3:47-4:19
2:29-2:32 -> 4:19-4:21

This track... just happened. I was improvising with piano by the tune of the source (good thing I was recording), listened to it later and decided there are some parts good enough to make a remix. It ended up being a rather jazzy kind of thing with a taste of dementia and cheesy halloween harmonies, something quite not what I usually produce. It was immediately deemed hipster by everyone I shared this with, fortunately not in a bad kind of way. Though in my opinion, one cannot expect something remotely normal when Revo and Sound Horizon are involved.

• 3 months later...

wow, this remix is nuts.  Is that a ffvi opening theme nod I hear at the start?  and what is all this? jazz, concert hall organs? waltz? swing? synth rock? crazy.

Anyways after one gets over the utter madness we'll find an expertly crafted composition that is very aware of its own ridiculousness and embraces it wholeheartedly.  I loved the use of dissonance, the tempo changes and the full stops, and that synth solo near the end!.  The original arrangement was a bit irregular but you took that to a new level.

I don't have many things to nitpick about the production.  I thought the mix got a bit reverb-y at times, and some instruments like the organ at 02:45 and the synth lead near the end could've had more presence on the mix but really I'm trying to nitpick on an otherwise good mix.

This is really good and incredibly creative.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/05/19 - (1Y) Bravely Default 'Virgin Mojito at Bubble Joseph's'

Yeah, I love that this is all over the place, and yet is cohesive. Not an easy thing to do, but you make it work and it's really fun! Mike's correct that the organ could maybe be a touch more present, but it's by no means a deal breaker. I do feel like the strings are a little slow on the attack as well which makes things feel slightly out of time, but again not a big issue.

There's a ton of nice touches, like the opening tuba, overall use of the organ, solos. Really great listen.

YES

Well, definitely an interesting take on this one. Preaching to the choir when I say this, but this is pretty out there. I'm not sure I agree that this all comes together quite as well as Deia or Mike - the shift from slow to fast that happens a few times in the beginning would've benefited from smoother transitions. Not only modulating tempo, but also changing instrumentation and style at the same time makes it harder to mentally transition. However, when things kick up the parts work well together, so it's a fairly minor gripe.

The mixing has its ups and downs. The instruments all stick out well, even when things get crazy, save for the aforementioned organ (such as at 2:06, when it's behind the string melody). There's a little bit too much reverb on everything in general, which makes a few parts sound washed out (such as at 1:58). As mentioned earlier, the strings used at 2:06 and 3:48 have very slow attacks, which makes them sound like they're missing the timing. Adjusting the attack of the sample so the strings strike right away would fix that right up.

The source break-down helps a good deal in identifying the source. Listening to the source and the remix side by side, it's easy to confirm that this has enough source usage.

It has some really rich dissonance going throughout, which I loved. The instrument combination was very neat and well integrated (Tuba is amazing). I do feel the reverb and string sample take this down a bit, but it's not quite enough to drag this out of a YES vote from me.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2015/05/19 - (3Y) Bravely Default 'Virgin Mojito at Bubble Joseph's'

Well, this is definitely very interesting! And a lot of fun! I really like the varied textures throughout, and all the unexpected changes in the structure felt appropriate to me. Super cool ideas, forming a strong and daring arrangement. And thanks for the source breakdown! :)

My nitpicks are in the humanization. Piano wasn't so bad, but the velocities in the drums are quite mechanical, and the strings weren't very convincing in the sequencing (although I really like their place in the arrangement, I'm really just talking about the articulations and envelope).

Other than that, I don't have anything worth mentioning that hasn't been told already. Great work for sure!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03328 - *YES* Bravely Default 'Virgin Mojito at Bubble Joseph's'
  • DaMonz locked this topic