it.

temp sound solutions and housethegrate - gyruss powar decimation -

from the 'now youre playing with powar 5: arc of powar' record

semper fi!

-shawn phase

temp sound solutions

http://www.tempsoundsolutions.com

• 2 weeks later...

i want to start off by saying that if the panel is going to shoot this down due to the recording quality, it would be a travesty. it should be very clear by this point that this is shawn's sound and not a byproduct of any inability or incapability. this is a very established sound and the driving impetus behind his understated scene popularity.

so on more conventional matters of qualification; this track is killer. with house on a guitar and shawn on those drums and whatever else the crazy man has concocted is a ruthless musical combination. the track has a lot of energy as both of these guys specialize in just that; creating energy. most of the track's attributes benefit from the roughness, the rawness... the POWAR, so to speak. dig it?

in terms of arrangement, there is one glaring forseeable problem and that is the ending and the general lack of development (barring a total "this recording is too raw" cascade). it wouldn't trick me out to see the track fall on its face across the panel because of it. as far as i'm concerned, the arrangement is fine in terms of its instrumentation and even structurally where this is what one would expect of an actual game track rather than a single-serving piece of music (which is where i believe this will ultimately bug most of the panel). an attribute which, incidentally and oddly enough, gives the track its appeal. this, from knowing both artists and knowing what their individual capabilities and styles are, is a stylistic choice.

in other words, while the beast does not have a head, body and tail, it does have teeth.

no doubt about it.

YES

wanna quickly address the bach issue; not enough of an issue to disqualify. i'm with vig.

Sorry about your fiancée, Shawn. Along with me, I'm sure the rest of the panel here and the Shizz community all feel for you and wish you the best.

Gyruss! The only reason I recognize the theme is because of the gold that is "I Am Konamic" from the May 2005 Dwelling of Duels. "BAAH! Take that, bitch!" Hahaha! I'd link to it, but can't find an active DoD mirror right now.

Not to diss Shawn's style, as people like it and buy his albums, but I'm just glad this sub wasn't him playing a bunch of muddy parts on top of the NSF file. Even the actual Bayou Billy section of "I Am Konamic" was just a mish-mish of indistinct parts on top of the Bayou Billy original.

As far as the standards here go, most times direct sampling the source tune itself doesn't work. Juha Kaunisto's "Zoids Revisited" is a good example though of using an original SID while having your own substantive performance/arrangement on top.

Moving on... 2 (good) playthroughs of the source, no meaningful variation between them, no interpretation, and it's over. No intro, no ending, and yes the production is weak. It's not asking too much for the instruments to be more distinct so the performances can be better appreciated; the rhythm guitar in particular could barely be heard.

I'm not saying the production by itself is a NO, by the way. A strong arrangement with this level of production could pass, much in the way that Zoltan Vegvari's Mega Man 3 "Intro Jazz" could. But a YES for a clearly undeveloped arrangement that's also not produced well? Sorry bro. Gotta expand the arrangement into a complete, standalone song with more personal interpretation. You've got other much stronger material out there.

NO

I have to agree with Larry here. While there's some mean shredding going on, and the performance is tight, those don't make up for the (lack of) arrangement. Production is not a big deal to me. The grunge style is cool; I know a lot of songs that pull that off well, and I think this could be one of them. However, this sticks VERY close to the original (which is direct sampled under the mix), too close really for the mix to be considered an OCReMix by our standards. Some solos in there, change ups in the chord progression, a more substantial intro + ending... any of those additions would be great and would put this significantly closer to our bar.

I'm a fan of your stuff; even if this one doesn't make it, keep it up. I'll keep listening. :)

NO

zyko, could you clarify your vote here? I'm not really hearing any arrangement at all. You're right that the ending cutoff is already an obvious problem, but more than that, it sounds like Shawn (and house) are simply playing over the original verbatim. They do a damn good job of it, of course, but I don't think there can be any question that this track is a cover. I don't mind that the original is in there; however, expansion is needed.

For the record, I wouldn't NO this because of the recording quality, as it is clearly a stylistic choice, and works well to that effect. I have a tremendous amount of respect for your work, Shawn, so don't stop what you're doing! Just remember that if you want a track up on OCR, you'll have to bring some other originality into play... beyond your obvious style. ^_~

NO

Nothing really to add. The performance is incredibly impressive. The recording aint great, but the deal breaker is obviously that there's very little if any arrangement.

Imagine if you combined your awesome shredding/rocking power with some creative composition. You'd be unstoppable. I'd really look forward to hearing something that you've made your own a little more.

No