OCR00251 - Mega Man 3 "Wily Metal"

m68030

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to say, I've been listening to this mix since it came out. It still makes me a little teary eyed when it pops up on random. I'm 25 now and these games remind me of my childhood. I was always one with the music while my parents thought it was noise. Awesome work.

• 1 year later...

I really like this mix, great job with the genre, LOVE the intro, reminds me kinda of "And Nothing Else Matters". Unfortunately there are a couple bits that I didn't quite like.

First and foremost: Tempo. Past the intro everything feels slow. Playing it at just 1.1x speed faster makes a HUGE difference in the feel to the song.

The other part I didn't like was the drum work. The constant high hat (mostly noticeable because of the speed) and the transitions felt amateurish.

This is supposed to be the start of reviews that I start to make, at least one a day. My intent is to actually get into the community a bit more, and eventually find the time and resources to make my own remixes. Unfortunately it'll take a couple years to do all the reviews of tunes I have if I leave it at that minimum once daily :-P

• 8 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00251 - Mega Man 3 "Wily Metal"
  • 1 year later...
On 10/6/2009 at 3:29 PM, OceansAndrew said:

The production sounds super dated compared to the pro level stuff we are used to now, but the arrangement is still pretty rocking. I think if the drum sounds and guitar tones were beefed up sufficiently, this would hold up pretty well today.

I dig it.

Yep, pretty thin stuff for the intro, though once the main verse comes in, the soundscape was more fleshed out. Agreed with others' criticisms on the drumwork feeling too static, then around 2:30 the soundscape was thin again. Nothing wrong with having dynamic contrast of course, but the less busy sections were more exposed. That said, pretty strong and ambitious for the earliest days of OCR in terms of putting more meat on the bones with the source tune and having it sound pretty solid; the guitar tone in particular was nice for its time.