OCR04470 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 "The Oscar Goes to Laguna Loire" *PROJECT* *RESUB*

Gario

Previous decision

Remixer name: Bluelighter
Mail: 
ID forum: 21840
Game & Songs: Final Fantasy 8 & Slide Show part 2, Slide Show part 1, (Retaliation)
Composer: Nobuo UEMATSU
Album  project: Final Fantasy 8
Links:

o   Slide Show p2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8m5J28Chio

o   Slide Show p1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rh4AF6F4tk

o   (a bit of Retaliation  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN9m5KM-jvE)

New version with more humanization on the whole piece. The difference can almost be felt :

- on high arpeggio
(cresh to high, and decresh to low notes, on the whole,
or important notes emphasised)
- on the middle section (~2'00) where high notes playing melody stand out better. I've also added a little more bass string in this section to get a more stressful result. 

Hoping you'll like this version :)

Breakdown

Originals

o   Slide Show pt2

§  0 – 0'32'' Melodic line A (MLA)

§  0'32'' – 0'49'' MLB

o   Slide Show pt1 :

§  0 – 0'21 MLC

§  0'21 – 0'35 : not used

§  0'35 – 0'42 MLD 

o   (Retaliation - a little in rhythm of 10 first seconds for some parts)

Mix

o   in C

o   Pt1: 0 -> 20'': intro – MLA (inspired by piano collection version)

o   Pt2: 0'20 -> 0'48 : MLA in soft instrumentation

o   Pt3: 48'' -> 1'15: MLA with march band rhythm

o   in Fm

o   Pt4: 1'15 -> 1'40: MLC idem -> Bass string increased to emphasize melody (slide show pt1 more recognizable now). MLD for transition

o   Pt5: 1'40 -> 2'18: darker section -> few modifications to introduce next part

§  Some bars present the stressful rhythm by low strings (near for rythm“Retaliation”)

§  MLB with this same rhythm with irregularities in time signature

o   Pt 6: 2'18 -> 3'05:

§  Bass string rhythm take from “Retaliation” (discreet)

§  in G#m : 2*MLB and MLC together

§  in C#m:  MLC (one time)

§  in F#m: MLD (to conclude and come to the next part). Rhythm of retaliation accentuated by winds.

§  We retrieve here the transition of the OST between SlSh pt1 end and pt2 beginning

o   Pt7: 3'05 -> end : in F  : MLA soft and march band rhythm

§  Some modifications in tempo -> accelerating rhythm

§  Same conclusion as the last version

I didn't hear the original submission, but I felt the instrumentation, while still clearly artificial, was adequate.  It was pretty busy in places, and there were a few brief moments where there was an accompanying instrument that was really hard to catch--the pizzicato strings, in particular, are nearly inaudible--bit I don't think this was enough of an issue to bring the piece down.  It's a fun conceit, well executed, and I'd love to see it posted.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/09/14 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 8 'The Oscar Goes to Laguna LOIRE'
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Ah I remember this one.  Bluelighter's tracks tend to stick in your mind whether you like it or not (I do though).  Now, regarding my previous vote:

Man, I really love just how quirky your rhapsody arrangements are.  I wish we got more of this stuff on the site.  03:12 is so Gershwin it's not even funny.  
*Comes back to the vote after half an hour of listening to Gerswin*

Well I got sidetracked there.  Goes to show this is something that I really like.  I however have to agree with Gario on some points, not all.  I think your sample quality while not the greatest its sufficient to me given the way its being used, nothing really feels vanilla here and there are a lot of intricacies in the arrangement and instrument usage.  I do have to take issue with the mix which feels overly busy and (oddly) compressed.  The big hits and lower drum hits have a ducking effect on the mix that is very umpleasant and unnatural.   I also feel like there's too much reverb and the mix isn't as clear as it should be.

Regarding the arrangement some of the transitions are rough but they don't take away much from the arrangement.  The 1:40 section was particulary out of place in this arrangement and sounded far too serious to fit.  Other than that I think you did a good job marrying the sources and the adaptation worked well for me.  

If the production issues are fixed, I'll be happy to let this one through.

Although I didn't get sidetracked again listening to some good ol' Gershwin, I did feel the compulsion to.  I've compared the production on both mixes and the new version sounds remarkably cleaner.  Also the humanization seems much better, just listen to those staccato strings at 2:28, much more natural sounding now.  Regarding the arrangement, that hasn't changed much though I noticed small details here and there that were modified/added.  All the praise I had for the previous version stands, with the added cleaner mix and performances, this is an easy pass for me.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2016/09/14 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 8 'The Oscar Goes to Laguna LOIRE'
  • 1 month later...

Didn't hear the original, but what I'm hearing now is a pretty fun take on the sources. Loved the overall march feel of the beginning and end, and the transitions overall are pretty smooth between the sections. I'll agree that the samples aren't blowing anyone away, but I also agree that they get the job done and are treated well to feel more natural. Definitely some fun love to sources that aren't normally considered.

YES

I hear the improvements made on this one (many of the humanization issues that I had have been addressed), so this is a pretty clear pass for me, too. I will nitpick a bit and say that the mixing is still not perfect (the strings are still mixed too far into the background when they carry the theme), but the arrangement is more than strong enough to carry this otherwise.

Great work, and I'm glad you revisited this one until you got it just right!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2016/09/14 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 'The Oscar Goes to Laguna Loire'
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04470 - *YES* Final Fantasy 8 "The Oscar Goes to Laguna Loire" *PROJECT* *RESUB*
  • Liontamer locked this topic