OCR03872 - *YES* Golden Sun: The Lost Age "Au Clair de la Lune"

Gario

Hi everyone, hope your 2018 starts well!

• Name of game(s) arranged: Golden Sun 2
  • Name of arrangement: Au clair de la Lune
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Full Moon (Garoh)"
  • Artists: Chernabogue ft. Furorezu (guitars) & Furilas (bass)
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Motoi Sakuraba / GBA
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pFQqT_851U
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: This track from Golden Sun 2 sounds so sad, especially when you first visit that village in the game. I wanted to keep that sinking feeling as part of the remix while switching its genre and aiming for a slow rock arrangement. Challenging but super fun (despite the depressing/nostalgic atmosphere of the track). Major thanks to my partners in crime for their time and recordings!
Link to remix: 

Hope it's all good -- let me know if I'm missing anything.

Cheers! :)

I actually thought the bass was too loud and resonated too much; should have been pulled back or re-EQ'ed. 1:51-1:53 had a very noticeably flat note; not sure if that can be fixed, but it would be a nice-to-have.

Other than those more minor issues, I loved the arrangement. The source was referenced for basically the whole time, so there was no need to timestamp anything.

The approach remained mellow like the original, but this version was nicely personalized, and I loved the backing pattern being used as the foundation of the track from 2:02-4:06. A really cool listen; nice teamwork!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2018/01/06 - (1Y) Golden Sun 2 'Au Clair de la Lune'
  • 3 months later...
  • DarkeSword changed the title to 2018/01/06 - (2Y) Golden Sun 2 'Au Clair de la Lune'
  • 3 weeks later...

Bass a bit too strong right off the bat, but thankfully not as strong as to drown the whole thing.  Good spacing of the instruments.  Pretty exposed dissonance at around 1:51.  Mix could be cleaner overall.

Performances are alright, if we can reach out to the artists to see if we can get a fix on the offkey bit that'd be great.  Not sure if we should go ahead with it as-is since this bit is very obvious, but for now I'll go with a pass.

YES

• Sir_NutS changed the title to 2018/01/06 - (3Y) Golden Sun 2 'Au Clair de la Lune'

Very straightforward, relaxed ballad-ish take on the source.  The tremolo on the keyboard and the glides on the guitar combined to cause a lot of brief moments of subtle dissonance throughout, which bugged me, but I seem to be the only one.  That one flat note didn't leap out at me.  Perfectly serviceable otherwise.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR03872 - *YES* Golden Sun: The Lost Age "Au Clair de la Lune"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic