Sign in to follow this  
Liontamer

OCR03959 - Metroid Prime 2, Zelda: OoT, MP3 & Zelda 1 "Enantiodromia"

This deserves an extensive applause. Not merely because I have a deep-seated Metroid bias, but because the scope of this achievement: to cohesively weave together an evocative and rich piece from so many sources, to pay homage to two great game serious, to blend the many instrumental elements, all to produce a stunning work that is long enough for a listener to sink their teeth in. I congratulate The Respawn Collective, and hope to see more products like this in the OCR library. Thank you for this song!

love this track, especially the Metroid Prime noise sfx in the opening - you guys nailed the vibe.
Re-inspired to work on my MP patch bank for Serum.  Excellent stuff.

Edited by Phonetic Hero

So, now I'm glad I clicked the link from the YouTube video and read all of this. Wow. I feel like I've just experienced a thrilling story. No joke, it gives me that same satisfied feeling of playing a video game with an emotionally touching narrative. And as someone who is infamous in certain circles for leaving long, sometimes overwrought comments on things, I have to say, I approve of the depth to the explanation of this remix.

Oh yeah. Here's what I started saying when I watched this on YouTube:

"There came a point where I knew I recognized the tunes, but couldn't remember why. And then I recognized, 'Wait, that's Zelda music!' But that's an excellent way to incorporate Zelda into Metroid. It fits so nicely, and sounds great with that instrumentation. You know, I should just finish making this comment on the OC ReMix website. I'll do that in a bit."

Now, for the rest of it:

The connection between Dark Link and Dark Samus is ingenious; both the characters themselves and their respective music are so thematically similar, this just makes sense. For a remix about two antagonists whose names literally contain the word "Dark," this remix sure is brilliant.

(Darn it; I was doing so well at avoiding puns. Ah, well.)

The only real glaring bit of this to me is that the guitar segment at 4:16 doesn't sound like it was interpreted too much (I know for sure that the Dark Samus remix in BadAss III - Twisted Rebirth - uses the Dark Samus MIDI off VGMusic because the guitar solo is lifted verbatim, and it sounds like this track uses the same one) but it's at least easier to get lost in it with the backmasked kicks and piano and everything going on in addition to it. Everything sounds fantastic otherwise, and the production was clearly given a lot of attention as far as achieving a Metroid Prime-esque "low fidelity" feel to some of the instrumentation while still clearly feeling intentional and without sacrificing sound quality.