OCR04339 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "Over the Horizon"

Rexy

• 4 months later...

Melodically conservative, sure, but more than personalized enough with the extremely varied instrumentation, ornamentation, and textures. Some of the samples had a noticeably stilted sound, particularly the sustained strings, but, in the big picture, that wasn't enough of a reason to hold this back. Nice work, Rebecca!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2020/09/23 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 7 "Over the Horizon"

i found the stilted samples to be much more irritating, notably in passages with thinner instrumentation or solo leads. however, the arrangement was very well handled from an instrumentation standpoint. there's a lot of passing the melody around, there's a variety of orchestral timbres explored, and as expected from Rebecca the OST is represented strongly. i do think there was more room to do some more varied textures - most of the middle section is just string sustains under some more interesting wind writing - but you mixed it up a bit more near the end with some pizz and then some much lighter instrumentation to finish it out.

this is closer than i would have expected mainly due to the handling of some of the not-great sample choices, but overall this is over the bar.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/09/23 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 7 "Over the Horizon"
  • 4 months later...

The intro is the weakest part of this.  The good news is that the exposed clarinets sound pretty realistic.  The bad news is that they sound poorly played!

Otherwise, not much to add.  A conservative but thorough orchestration from Rebecca, as always, and as always a little quiet.  Works for me.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2020/09/23 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 7 "Over the Horizon"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04339 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "Over the Horizon"
  • DragonAvenger locked this topic