*NO* Legend of Mana "A World Unknown"

Rexy

Contact Information

• Your ReMixer name - glenji2k4
  • Your real name - Glenn Murawski
  • Your email address - 
  • Your website - gmmtunes.com
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile - couldn't find this
  •  

Submission Information

• Name of game(s) arranged - Legend of Mana
  • Name of arrangement - A World Unknown
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged - World of Mana
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site) - System PS1
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJrF7760bps
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc. - DoD entry for February 2020: Shimomura Month.

Edited by DragonAvenger

This sounds really pretty. I don't hear much connection to the source, though; the chords are different (which is 90% of what this source is), and the backing texture is only faintly connected to the backing plucked instrument in the source.

Not too sure I can add too much to this other than I'm not hearing the source in this, other than that it's very pretty to listen to.

NO

Edited by Gario

• Gario changed the title to 2020/12/01 - (1N) Legend of Mana "A World Unknown"
  • 3 weeks later...

audio is consistently quieter than expected - looks like it maxes at around -2.8db for some reason.

this is a beautiful original track with minimal melodic content. this sounds like a hard track to remix honestly.

listening to your version, i noticed right away how overblown the piano sounds - it's heavily compressed and sounds more like a techno track's piano than anything that's more acoustic like this comes across initially. separately, the backing pad is really interesting, but it's smeared liberally throughout the entire first half of the track and is super loud, and the tremelos that help make it so unique quickly become baader-meinhof artifacts. the rest of the instrumentation sounds similarly overblown as it enters at 1:14. overall the heavy compression is very offputting.

i can't hear any direct application of the original chords to this either. a breakdown may make it less obfuscated, but this isn't close to passing based on the mastering by itself. as the resident "this is a tenuous at best arrangement but i love it" guy, i can't hear any correlation between the two that's more than passing adjacency. 

maybe with a full breakdown i'd hear it, but right now the lack of a clear link between original and remix makes this unpassable. the overblown sound design is a separate negative that likely would preclude passing on its own as well.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2020/12/01 - (2N) Legend of Mana "A World Unknown"

The piano might be following the original with the higher note/lower note motif, but honestly I would never have picked that out on it's own, and even then it feels like a reach for me. 

The soundscape has a really creepy vibe to it, and I agree with Brad that it feels very harsh and over compressed overall. The soundscape can definitely work for the bleak feel you're going for, but definitely needs to be brought back a little. 

NO

Edited by DragonAvenger