PRC428 - Battle Till The End (Battle Garegga)

The People's Remix Competition 428
PRCv18-08

Hello everyone and Welcome to the People's Remix Competition!

In PRC426 it was TheVideoGamer who claimed the round. He picked the source for PRC428.

On 5/11/2021 at 4:51 AM, TheVideoGamer said:

I feel like a Shmup is in order. Shmup meaning "Shoot-em-Up". This one in particular is from Battle Garegga, which like with a lot of Japanese shoot-em-up's were insanely difficult, and insanely fast. They are often referred to as "Bullet Hell" games, because of this reason. I've played this game (Albeit, with a few modifications to make it easier lol) and it's still difficult haha. Battle Garegga was released in 1996, by the company known as Raizing, (which shortly after became Eighting), and it's known for a forward approach, meaning you just go straight into the game-play, no holds back. Anyways, i shouldn't ramble about the game, it's the awesome soundtrack i need to talk about.

The music was composed by Manabu Naimiki, and primarily follows an electronica score, but in a way, where it feels very melodic, and in parts, jazzy. As you progress, the music get's faster, to where the last few stages, are pretty intense and full-on. The track i'm presenting to you, is called "Underwater Rampart", which is the 2nd stage theme. You'll notice the interesting name there, as this is a slight nod to Underground Resistance (The 90's techno outfit). In fact you might as well call it a cover of Jupiter Jazz (Performed under their alias, Galaxy 2 Galaxy),from the chords to it's beat. The difference being, that Underwater Rampart has more atmosphere, and less jazz. Also the arrangement is ever so slightly different. Those who are familiar with Cowboy Bebop might recognise the song i'm talking about.

It also happens to have a shit-tonne of remixes, with 80-percent coming from the original composer, and those who worked on the Saturn port of the game (Shinji Hosoe, Ayako Saso, Hitoshi Sakimoto and a whole lot more remixed the Arcade soundtrack, Just google in the game, to find out the rest of the composers.) Even with it's sheer abundance of remixes (There's also a 2016 remake, which features another remixed soundtrack, as well as a commercial album of remixed material lol), from different people, it's still not even recognised on OCRemix, so no actual remixes exist of this, outside the composer and arrangers themselves. Hopefully you guys can fill the void. 

The tune is amazing, the chords are really interesting, and there are changes to make this an absolutely ripe song to remix! I hope you have fun with this!  

Game: Battle Garegga (Arcade)

Source: Underwater Rampart

And my own custom made MIDI:

https://vgmusic.com/file/a5df1960757ae52d1a24a8ebce464382.html#disqus_thread

Source: Battle Garegga (Arcade) - Underwater Rampart

http://compo.thasauce.net/files/materials/PRC428_Battle_Garegga_-_Underwater_Rampart.mid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Garegga

http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC428

The deadline is Wednesday June 16th 2021 at 10:59 am ThaSauce time (18:00 UTC, 19:00 GMT), check the link http://compo.thasauce.net/rounds/view/PRC428 for the exact time left. Make sure that the song is uploaded to ThaSauce or that there’s a download link posted in this thread. 

You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix. You are free to create a second ThaSauce account for that if you use ThaSauce, it's needed to be able to upload a second remix if you use ThaSauce. Of course you can also upload it somewhere else and put a download link in this thread.

Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted in this thread.

Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they receive a free first place vote added onto their score.

The winner of this round may select the source for PRC430.

The winner of PRC426, TheVideoGamer, who picked this source, has a double vote but can only participate by submitting a Bonus Mix 

You can find the full rules list at this page as well.

GOOD LUCK!

PRC Home Page

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was this song (well it's alter-ego, "Jupiter Jazz") used in the show Cowboy Bebop? It feels like it was at some point for one of the chase scenes, and not just happenstance be the title of episodes 12 and 13, also called 'Jupiter Jazz'. ...I swear when I YT'd it and listened to the Underground Resistance / Galaxy 2 Galaxy version, I had heard it in the show before, but I am unsure. It's been literal years since I've seen it, TBF.

And to clarify--whether it is or not--what I mean in my song blurb is that I incorporated some Bebop fun stuff into it. ^^ Unsure if the song was actually used in the show, but based on its namesake, thought I'd do a couple of nods to the show and episodes themselves, based from the same name of the alternate track.

24 minutes ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but was this song (well it's alter-ego, "Jupiter Jazz") used in the show Cowboy Bebop? It feels like it was at some point for one of the chase scenes, and not just happenstance be the title of episodes 12 and 13, also called 'Jupiter Jazz'. ...I swear when I YT'd it and listened to the Underground Resistance / Galaxy 2 Galaxy version, I had heard it in the show before, but I am unsure. It's been literal years since I've seen it, TBF.

And to clarify--whether it is or not--what I mean in my song blurb is that I incorporated some Bebop fun stuff into it. ^^ Unsure if the song was actually used in the show, but based on its namesake, thought I'd do a couple of nods to the show and episodes themselves, based from the same name of the alternate track.

Basically Underground Resistance recorded a track called Jupiter Jazz in 1992. There are 2 versions of the song, one released under the alias Galaxy 2 Galaxy (Named Hi-Tech Jazz), which was intended for live performances and of course Jupiter Jazz. Both made by the same members of Underground Resistance.

Manabu Naimiki created a homage, in a form of a cover for the second stage of the Battle Garegga game. This is featured in the soundtrack as Underwater Rampart.

Cowboy Bebop also pays homage to Jupiter Jazz, the very song Manabu Naimiki was inspired by for Underwater Rampart. Baring in mind the second version, is also pretty much similar, but none of the composers/artists here used that version.

As far as i'm aware Jupiter Jazz is not in the OST of Cowboy Bebop, but did serve as the basis for 2 episodes, aptly titled Jupiter Jazz (Each part 1 and part 2).

Now i mention Galaxy 2 Galaxy, because the song is very much in line with Jupiter Jazz. Almost close to a remix. However as i reiterate, neither the composer or show creator used this version.

Jupiter Jazz:

Hi-Tech Jazz:

Also here's a clip of performing Hi-Tech Jazz live. Pretty neat if you ask me.

Hope that clears some confusion for you!

Edited by TheVideoGamer
11 minutes ago, The Vodoú Queen said:

Yeah I get it now.

Feels like a song they'd definitely use in the show, but hey, at least I understood the homage to episodes 12 and 13. XD

Nonetheless, hope I made my remix a little bit interesting with connecting the songs and episodes together. :D

I was definitely under the impression, the way they set up the show, that they would use the song. Hell in Hi-Tech Jazz, (The G2G Song) there is a saxophone solo present throughout! But alas they didn't, which they could have, since it felt like a good opportunity. Oh well.

Looking forward to listening to yours when i vote!

Edited by TheVideoGamer