Plugin/soundfont for machine-like percussion?

Devsman

The kind of stuff you hear in factory/mine levels:

https://youtu.be/YAB0uPsSY8w

Some of this seems to be actual samples, or sound effects repurposed as percussion, so I'm not necessarily looking for anything that matches super close to any particular sounds here. But if there's a way to get a lot of sounds in the same general spirit, that would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2021 at 2:32 AM, HarlemHeat360 said:

I'm not at my PC right now so I can't say for sure, but 8dio has a few free VST packs that contain a plethora of interesting sounds. I'm pretty sure some of them are more machine like as you put it. 

Other than that, Damage 2 certaintly has plenty of industrial type sounds to choose from

Thanks for the suggestions! Lots of good stuff in there, especially Damage 2.

It kinda hit me just now, it may not be a bad idea to wait until I have a car problem and then ask my mechanic when I drop it off if I can record some sounds. Not sure how they'd feel about a customer walking around when they're trying to work but you know you'd find some great sounds that way if they allow it. :P

Also, if you're me, you don't have to wait long for car trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 4:10 PM, Devsman said:

It kinda hit me just now, it may not be a bad idea to wait until I have a car problem and then ask my mechanic when I drop it off if I can record some sounds.

or just record stuff from your kitchen. blender, clanging pots together, etc. maybe you have a drill at home...with additional processing, you can get many sounds out of simple stuff like that.

it's pretty rewarding; feels like you own the track more in the end.

Here's an old soundfont I've used in a lot of my older stuff called Drum Set Industrial.

http://soundfonts.darkesword.com/fonts/drums_industrial.sfpack

It's an sfpack; use this tool to uncompress it. I apologize for the weird, esoteric compression method; I'll get around to rehosting all of those soundfonts on my soundfont site as SF2s eventually.

15 hours ago, DarkeSword said:

Here's an old soundfont I've used in a lot of my older stuff called Drum Set Industrial.

http://soundfonts.darkesword.com/fonts/drums_industrial.sfpack

It's an sfpack; use this tool to uncompress it. I apologize for the weird, esoteric compression method; I'll get around to rehosting all of those soundfonts on my soundfont site as SF2s eventually.

talk about a classic! one of my starter soundfonts in 2004.

your little soundfont page was a beautiful thing back then.

btw, i think i even used the saxophone you had in the last mix uploaded on here. yeah, Tenor Saxophone.

i still love soundfonts, man.

Edited by Nase

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so here's something I threw together with Synth1 and the Atmospherik Mekanisms soundpack from 99Sounds. I also added one that was just the percussion.

I didn't bother to clean it or even write a decent melody; it just uses the Jpop IV7-V7-iii7-vi progression and loops the same two phrases over and over after a layering intro. But as a proof of concept, I think it sounds ok.

I think with some processing on some of those samples to make them sound bigger, this could make for some pretty cool machiney percussion.

Edited by Devsman