*NO* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy"

Emunator

• ad.mixx
  • Aaron Corbitt
  •  
  • 22874-admixx

Writeup:

Alright finally submitting this: same tempo, same composition, nothing really changed except for the arrangement and vocals added on top. Basically I was using the song as more of a beat, which my god it makes a great beat. I really love mystery dungeon music, and this one is no exception.

Only completely original section is from :35-:46. The rest of the song I'm using the source in some way.

Lyrics:

I'm hopin' for somethin' to say
To set you off, let you know, now look the other way
So don't push your luck with me friend
I'm one step away from letting you know how to offend

I'm just a cowboy tryna' wrangle my pride
I'm just a loud man whose got something to hide
I'm just a coward. Keep my eyes off the Lord
Lookin' for power so I can't be ignored.

To let you know I'm afraid don't look the other way
Yua: But if yah want me to be your friend
Then look me in the eyes again.

One breath, one time, hold me back from the line (x2)

So let me say what I need to say
I don't think that I'll need much more
I don't believe in fate
I don't believe that love can erase what he said in James 4
It says that
You're gonna ignore those who are proud
Well you can't ignore me friend
And all the hope that I feel yah it's in the sound
And I'm thinkin' you're likin' the end.

To set you off, let you know, now look the other way
So don't push your luck with me friend
I'm one step away from letting you know how to offend

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 1 month later...

I've had this one on repeat for a while, mostly trying to get myself past the lo-fi production.  It's clearly an intentional choice, but the result is the lack of lows throughout the whole piece---I hear a faint bass pulse (maybe an 808?), but there's not much to it---and long stretches with not much in the highs, just the one arp, which is also pretty thin.

The beat is great, obviously.  The rap/chant is performed and produced excellently, and works perfectly with the source material.  It's catchy.  I enjoyed it, for sure.  But the thin soundscape isn't doing it for me.  The bass in particular needs beefing up: you could either fatten up the bass parts that are already there, or add pads or something else to fill it out.  More in the highs wouldn't be amiss, either, at least in some of the sections where that arp isn't playing.

NO (resubmit)

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2021/06/09 - (1N) Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy"
  • 1 month later...

there is a surprising amount of sub-20hz bass in this mix for how little there is at 40-80hz. it's a clear scoop down at 30hz and back up but fairly quiet at 40hz so it's intentional and not just a bad 40hz cut.

intro is hip. there's some fun effecting on the vocals initially, but they're pretty quiet vs the backing part. i agree with MW that the bass is nowhere near as loud as i'd expect based on the rest of the background.

there's some more neat effecting on the vox at 1:07 onward. there's a break and the 'chorus' comes in at 1:22, and i realized what's bugging me - the track has no punch. the lack of significant compression to give the background a punchier feel (which you're obviously going for based on that drop at 1:07) is a real miss. having no bass is a big deal too...there's nothing in the range that most headphones are going to put out, although it does sound beefier on a system with a lower freq range like a car system.

the arrangement itself is pretty solid. it's clearly from RRT and doesn't ever really get lost (no pun intended), and the execution is definitely competent. i thought the lyrics were kind of meandering and dumb, but i can't really talk having written the worst lyrics of all time on a remix before. i thought they were spoken/sang well but would have preferred the vocals to be a bit louder.

overall this is pretty darn close for me. i do think the lack of punch and bass is a dealbreaker, and i think it's not a huge change to fix that given the headroom in the mix right now. it just feels quiet rather than low and intense.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2021/06/09 - (2N) Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy"

Ok so I absolutely dig this song!  But the guys are right, the lows are a problem.  This could be posted and it wouldn't be awful per se but it would be a darn shame to post it with such a weak low end.  The kick and that 808 bass need to slam.  I did a quickie fix to the wav, I put a sharp low-cut at 25Hz (which cuts out a ton of mud, mud doesn't master nicely) and then put a whopping big amount of MB compression just on 125Hz and below, and this is how much better it sounds just from that:    Cowboy with bumped lows

It even sounds better balanced this way.  So I would suggest bumping your lows, either in mixing or on your master, and send it right back so we can get this posted to the front page!

NO (but please fix lows and send back)

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team "Cowboy"