OCR04515 - *YES* Prince of Persia (SNES) "119 Minutes Left"

Emunator

• 1 month later...

I like it.  It's mellow with a nice tone to it.  I'd say that the reverb is a little over the top, and some of the synths occasionally sound like they're trying and failing to be real instruments---the shrill saw at 2:06 in particular doesn't fit well---but otherwise production is fine.  The arrangement is a little long and rambling, but there's hardly any copypasta, and it forms a sort of extended bookend.

I don't have any substantial objections.  It's a fine remix.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/02/20 - (1Y) Prince of Persia "119 Minutes Left"
  • 3 months later...

uh, not the style i was expecting in the slightest from the original 😃

it's a little heavy in the left ear off the bat. it's also mastered quite dully early on, although it helps with the vibe. it honestly has a nice feel as the dulcimer and guitar are alternating. there's some more active bass parts at 1:30 that sound uber fake, but the light distortion on the guitar or ep there is super fun. the saw MW mentions is a little sudden but i do like what it's saying, just needs a bit of a different timbre i think.

there's another vibe check at 2:43, emphasizing some fun distorted, echoed chords and a tom groove. there's a few weird fills in here that are not quite in the pocket nor are they triplets, but overall this section is neat and a good break. at 3:51 we get a shift back to lower energy (still with some fakey-sounding bass), but the EPs in here are a nice compliment to the earlier distorted chords you were using. 

at 4:29 it's pretty clear our 119 minutes are almost up, but it continues to noodle and explore new stuff here, which i think fits with the track as a whole. there's some really fun juno-esque pads and then it's done.

the mastering sounds pretty dank and it kinda wanders, but i like it as much because of those aspects as in spite of it. there's some real fun exploration here that never leaves behind the original, and somehow both stays in the same vibe while shifting around a lot. this is a neat track. it felt a lot like something off the b-side of one of those copycat albums that came out after herbie did Headhunters. it's got Vein Melter energy to it.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/02/20 - (2Y) Prince of Persia "119 Minutes Left"
  • 1 month later...

Experimental lounge-rock with a Middle-Eastern flair. Sounds pretty cool!

The slow tempo necessitates that sound design must be good, as there's more time to dwell on the character of the instruments, and thankfully that's the case here. The guitar tone is rich and smooth, particularly the noodling lead. Not too sure on the saw at 2:04. Sounds a bit like air being let out of a balloon. The bass is doing work here, and there are some ominous pads providing a level of uneasiness to go with this section. We're back to the slow jam afterwards though; just cruising.

I was hoping there would be a bit more direction to this piece, as it does seem to noodle around somewhat aimlessly for a bit longer than I was comfortable with, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that in a piece of this style. What's here is presented very well, and is a great way to expand on the source while putting your own stamp on it.

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/02/20 - (3Y) Prince of Persia "119 Minutes Left"

Quirky and cool source tune, and I love this arrangement, which is easily Geoff's most engaging, enveloping piece yet, mixing mellowness with just the right amount of tension. I really appreciated him having the bassline rhythm from the original adapted to and ever-present in this piece to pretty much always keep the arrangement connected to the source even while some vamping was going on. As long as longer pieces evolve and develop, I'm all about just sitting back and enjoying the twists and turns. I've always enjoyed Dj Orange's work, and he's stepped his game up on this one, with an amazing and inspired mood here. Skip OC ReMixes of lesser-known soundtracks at your peril, this is a great one!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04515 - *YES* Prince of Persia (SNES) "119 Minutes Left"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2022/02/20 - *YES* Prince of Persia (SNES) "119 Minutes Left"