OCR04405 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 & 10 "Sovitus"

Emunator

ReMixer & real name: Eino Keskitalo
e-mail: 

Names of games arranged: Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy X
Name of Arrangement: Sovitus
Names of individual songs arranged: Lenna's Theme (FFV), Lulu's Theme (FFX)

Sources

MP3 link: 
FLAC link: 

Long time no see!

This arrangement was originally made for the final round of the Final Fantasy Crystal Clash competition, way back from early 2014! I think I dare not listen to the compo version, the mix was crammed full of stuff. It took me eight years to clean it up! Cut a lot of stuff out, not everything has to be playing all the time. Big thanks to Timaeus for excellent feedback on the OCR forums, and to the #workshop channel on Discord for comments.

Source breakdown (this is quite liberal..):

The long intro:

0:00-0:07 no source anywhere

0:07-0:24 The descending pizzicato from Lulu's theme (from the start) is there on the violin to the right, adjusted to major key.. if you'll accept that.

0:24-0:42 Pizzicato continues; Lenna's bells from 0:00-0:10 on the chippy synth to the left

0:42-0:51 No source

First "verse"

0:51-1:25 Lenna's bells + melody (on the fake guitar, different rhythm) from 0:06-0:28.

Second "verse":

1:25-2:00

Bits of Lenna's bells, bits of Lenna's melody. 01:41-01:44 has a bass fill from Lenna (0:39-0:42 in the source).

From Lulu, the melloflute melody 0:14-0:25 is adjusted to key (& rhythm) and plays in the background organ at 1:27-1:30 and 1:44-1:47. Due to the adjustments, these perhaps don't count as prominent source usage.

2:00-2:03 A little break

First "chorus":

2:03-2:07 The lead follows the lower bell from Lenna at 0:55-1:01 (though the rhythm is different).

2:07-2:11 Lulu's melloflute from 0:14-0:19

2:12-2:20 2:12-2:14 and 2:16-2:20 you can hear the higher bell from Lenna's at 0:55-0:58 in the background.

2:21-2:25 The descending pizzicato from Lulu's theme's beginning plays once @ 2:21. Sorta.

Third "verse":

2:25-2:58 The Lulu's B-part melody from 1:09-1:34 plays twice (with the harmony very much reharmonized). Lenna's bass fill at 02:40-02:42.

2:58-3:02 a little break

Second "chorus":

3:02-3:10 The lower bell from Lenna's 0:55-1:06.

3:10-3:36 Variations of the previous bit; the original melody is there in the background. 3:33-3:36 follows the chord progression at the end of the "chorus" of Lenna's theme.

3:36-3:48 a wind-down.

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/02/25 - Final Fantasy 5 & 10 "Sovitus"
  • 1 month later...

Well, this was not what I was expecting from these two sources!  Grungy, lo-fi synths with some almost industrial percussion.  The "fake guitar" sounds more like a fake erhu during the glides.  I don't know what to call this.  I was in that compo, too.

It sounds good, though!  Despite the grunge, everything sounds clear, for the most part.  The percussion is on the loud side, but it's not a dealbreaker.  The two sources are cleverly interwoven, and it wasn't hard to track what was taken from the source material.

It's weird and I don't know that everyone will love it, but it hits all the guidelines for sure.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/02/25 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 5 & 10 "Sovitus"
  • 2 months later...

what a creative, weird take on these two. i really like the vibe you've crafted with the glitchy drums, the long-tail sustains, and the different arpeggios in each ear. there's a ton of stereo separation going on and i'm here for it, i think it really allows the two sources to show up in a way that i wouldn't have expected. i also really appreciate that you don't really care about sticking with the tonality as much and get into the glissandos and detuning a bit. i love it when concepts in the originals inform the remix and this does that.

the source usage is consistent but definitely tenuous. i would have missed a lot if i hadn't had the breakdown. tbh though that's a fun thing since it's rewarding future listens. there's more than enough here though.

what a great track. i love how out there it can be. such a unique take on two great originals.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/02/25 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 5 & 10 "Sovitus"

A lot of FF/JRPG remixes can sound quite samey, but there's no danger of that here. This has been twisted, glitched and crushed almost beyond recognition.

The warm analogue pads to open soon give way to that cold, fuzzy percussion that's got such an interesting texture to it. I'm surprised it works as well as it does with the melodic content. Takes a great deal of vision and creativity to pull that off. There's so much bending and distorting going on in almost every element in this piece, I'm impressed by the effort put into the sound design and automation. It's one of those tracks where you can try to dissect everything that's being done from a compositional or production point of view, but it'll take a few listens to catch everything.

The bass sounds a little strange to me, though, as I think the high-cut filter has been rolled off a little low. This isolates the bass a bit more than I'd like, but it's augmented at various points by other synth sounds to make up for that.

Overall it's such a creative track, but if it weren't for the source usage breakdown, I'm not sure I would have been able to pick out the individual elements very easily. Thankfully you gave us the breakdown and saved a bunch of hard work there! Nice one.

YES

• DarkSim changed the title to 2022/02/25 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 5 & 10 "Sovitus"
  • Liontamer changed the title to 2022/02/25 - *YES - TAG* Final Fantasy 5 & 10 "Sovitus"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04405 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 & 10 "Sovitus"
  • Liontamer locked this topic