*NO* Super Metroid "The Missing Galactic Baby Warrior"

Emunator

Artist: HoboKa
Game: Super Metroid
Source: Title Screen
Remix: The Missing Galactic Baby Warrior
Description:
Made this remix for MnP 119 I believe ; I worked on it some more. .  Went for my usual enhance but stick close to source material, with my own personalization, hamming up the ambience and cinematic feel. And I added metroid baby sfx at the start lol.  I can give a version without it, if you'd prefer to not have original sfx in there.  

Edited by DarkSim

• 2 months later...

This is a neat concept.  The chanting blends in really well, and is a novel idea.  The instrumentation in the intro isn't anything I've quite heard before, either.

However, there isn't much else to this.  After the intro, it's a piano lead, a synth bass beat, and some ambient "Darth Vader" breathing noises.  After the vocals are added a minute in, there isn't really anything new, except some fake-sounding violins that join at 1:32.  The whole arrangement is barely two minutes long and has only about a minute of ideas in it.

It's a good foundation, but it needs more development to make it to the front page, IMHO.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/03/15 - (1N) Super Metroid "The Missing Galactic Baby Warrior"
  • 3 months later...

the layering of synth and violin in the lead is neat. there's some grit on the piano that's nice too.

0:27 brings in the 'melody', if you call it that, and there's not a lot there that's not in the original. there's some sfx added at 0:57, which is suitably creepy/atonal, but it's not really adding arrangement. similarly, the block synth chords are cool, and i like their increasing intensity, but they don't constitute arrangement.

the violin pads echoing the melodic content at 1:32 are also a nice idea, but they aren't saying anything that isn't already there. the resonant synths around this part are pretty cool though and make the atmosphere much more intense. that goes away quickly though and it just ends.

i'm with MW. there's some neat ideas but a lot more fleshing out is needed before this is enough for the front page.

NO

• 1 month later...

I listened to this one without looking at the playing timer, and thought "Hey this is a long intro", and then it ended!

You've done a great job of building the intensity, but it ought to go somewhere rather than just peter out. Maybe some percussion could help drive it, with some sort of ethereal synth lead playing over those ominous bass notes. You could arpeggiate the bass notes into some sort of dark synthwave style and add atmospheric arps (which is what I'd do), or continue some experimentation with the higher register of the piano. It might be worth chopping it in half and inserting something in the middle, before coming back to the ending you already have. The options are there.

I think this definitely does need to do something more than just set the scene. Use it as the foundation for a track, and see where you can take it.

NO

• DarkSim changed the title to *NO* Super Metroid "The Missing Galactic Baby Warrior"
  • Liontamer locked this topic