*NO* Another Eden "Timeless Desire (Another Flair) *RESUB*

Emunator

• Your ReMixer name: JGTraveler
  • Your real name: Othello Gooden Jr.
  • Your email address: 
  • Your website: Youtube.com/2kreturner
  • Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile:  2kReturner - OC ReMix Community
  • Name of game(s) arranged: Another Eden
  • Name of arrangement: Timeless Desire (Another Flair)
  • Name of individual song(s) arranged: Fleeting Wish
  • Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Composer is Shunsuke Tsuchiya (Fleeting Wish). Game is on AndroidiOS, Nintendo Switch (Under Development)
  • Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site):  Background Music - Another Eden Wiki (miraheze.org)
  • Your own comments about the mix, for example, the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: Update: May 2022: Since the last version of this song was rejected because of a poor mix, I resubmitted now after giving my song the Another Flair "upgrade". I hope this version is good enough to be accepted by OC Remix. The synth and the bass drive the entire song with the bottom side chaining throughout the entire piece. Even though the melody seems to repeat several times, the bass and drums switch up so the song doesn't sound monotonous/repetitive yet keeping the melodic repeating Deftrance signature.
Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 4 weeks later...

This opens with some very vanilla, subdued synths.  It takes a full minute and a half for melody to kick in, and when it does, it sounds thin and underdeveloped.  Very simple, with just a basic waveform melody, bass synth, piano accompaniment, and retro synth drums.

I'm afraid it still does sound repetitive, as well.  I can hear the differences between the loops, but I have to be paying very close attention.  But the instrumentation never changes even once, except for one filter automation at about 4:05-4:09.  It sounds to me like this whole thing was created using exactly four channels.  That's the bare minimum from a technical standpoint, but you really need more going on for today's standards---and even by the standards of yesteryear, this would be pushing it.

I'm afraid this needs more development, more transformation, and more dynamism to begin with.  It will also need more depth of sound, but that will come after working on the instrumentation and arrangement.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/08/06 - (1N) Another Eden "Timeless Desire (Another Flair) *RESUB*
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

Lovely source tune choice; enjoyed that immediately.

Opens with a warm synth; not the most sophisticated, but a solid sound. Changes to a pumping electronic dance line at :31, going for a gradual buildup; cool sound design there for that line during this buildup. Definitely odd for the kick at 1:03 to come in so loud, but we'll see where the texture goes as the timing doubles and re-doubles starting at 1:17.

Ooh, yep, what I was worried about happened after the track got going at 1:32; the kick stays WAY too loud, including louder than the leads. I was hoping this would get pulled back; right now, it's too much in the foreground compared to the melody and countermelody.

The timing of everything isn't uniform; I could be wrong, but it seems like the beats don't properly drive this forward, because they're slightly behind the beat (most apparent when the beats are finally ever-present at 3:34). Even when the beats are a constant presense, they don't lend any movement to the track.

You can hear some of the backing chords with the keyboard & orch stabs are dissonant (e.g. 1:46, 1:59). 2:49 was a barren section, and IMO doesn't work; some sort of padding there would allow the texture to thin out yet not sound empty. The keyboards at 3:04 are a staple sound in EDM, but I thought the tone was thin and mechanical-sounding.

This is a creative and interpretive presentation. I dig the arrangement approach, which is giving me Mega Man X series vibes (or even the Mighty No. 9 main theme), and the attempt to vary up the sections was apparent. Unfortunately, the presentation isn't cohesive enough; the timing, texture, and dissonance issues all hold this back. MindWanderer's right about the textures feeling basic and barren, and the lack of sophisticated percussion/beat writing makes everything feel very static/plodding. It's not close to passing at your current experience level, Othello, but this definitely shows off your potential if you keep producing arrangements and refining your skills. Please keep at it!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/08/06 - (2N) Another Eden "Timeless Desire (Another Flair) *RESUB*

The guys are right, this mix takes too long to get going, and the sounds used are very simple and vanilla and they lack interest.  That opening bassline has extreme sidechaining on it which sounds distracting with nothing else playing with it, and when the kick comes in, wow it's loud.  Too loud for the soft and simple instrumentation in this mix.  At the 2:00 mark there is some harmonic dissonance that is unpleasant.  The arrangement itself does show promise, however.  I suggest you take this track to our workshop forum and get some specific advice on how to fix this mix.  Generally, you need better sounds, more varied sounds, more interesting writing (it is repetitive now), better balancing and mixing.  I suggest spending some time learning how and when to sidechain.  You have the bass super heavily sidechained but nothing else in the mix is sidechained so the mix lacks a cohesive groove.  Make sure you are listening on good speakers in a well set up room, or on good headphones. Still some work to do to learn the techniques, but as Larry said, this arrangement shows your potential, please keep going.  

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2022/08/06 - (3N) Another Eden "Timeless Desire (Another Flair) *RESUB*
  • Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Another Eden "Timeless Desire (Another Flair) *RESUB*