Emunator

RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

http://www.crystalechosound.com/
ID: 48262
Game(s): Celeste
Song Title: Peak of Truth
Songs Remixed: First Steps

This is my second Celeste arrangement, based on "First Steps", the theme for the Forsaken City level. The original soundtrack was composed by Lene Raine. This track was nominated and voted for by my patrons on Subscribestar. If you're interested in voting/nominating in the future, you can subscribe to me here: www.subscribestar.com/rebeccaetripp A new VGM remix will be chosen every month.

• 3 weeks later...

For most of Rebecca's remixes, I just end up writing, "Yep, does everything she always does right, just her usual small missteps, good enough."  Not this time.  These instruments are way too robotic across the board, and it's not even close.  Extremely mechanical timing and articulation, with bizarrely short decays on several instruments.  And of course it's comically quiet, with nearly 5 dB of headroom; I had to crank my volume all the way up to hear this decently.

I'm sorry, but this was just severely disappointing.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/04/29 - (1N) Celeste "Peak of Truth"
  • 2 months later...

it's been nice to hear rebecca exploring more timbres than just chamber orchestra. there's a bunch of synths evident right from the beginning, and mixed with rebecca's usual delicate orchestral percussion especially sounds fun. 

there's a ton of execution jank though. she's clearly attempting to add space to her arrangement in echo of the original, which i like! but the low strings and oddly-loud piano are just so obviously artificial. similarly, the synth leads, which are a neat idea, just don't jive at all with the more dynamically nuanced strings behind them.

i think the strings at 2:20 sound particularly fake (as well as that choral patch that gets used on every track lately), but i think the concepts you have on display there are probably the best arrangement you have in the entire track. it's just executed very poorly. the more tasteful synth work there, juxtaposed against the realistic percussion, is great. the strings and choir pad just kill it unfortunately.

this felt pretty uneven. i agree with MW that i expect a lot more from rebecca normally. there's some really nice stuff in here, but the realism issues just stick out even more than usual. the silly headroom and lack of any compression seal the deal for me. this isn't there yet.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

Levels are all over the place here. Arps are barely audible, piano bass notes are very loud and all left-panned, leaving a large L/R imbalance in the low-end, which is always a bad idea when mixing.

Melodica-style synth in the intro is very robotic, and the sequencing of the sampled instruments lacks finesse, particularly on the release.

Instrumentation is more natural and organic than the original, yet the execution feels more mechanical and doesn't jive with the instruments used.

Whole thing is way too quiet.

NO

• DarkSim changed the title to *NO* Celeste "Peak of Truth"
  • Liontamer locked this topic