Final Fantasy VIII - Compression of Time

H36T

I was kinda surprised I never made a thread for this. That or my eyesight is going faster than I thought haha. Anyway, I posted this to my YT channel awhile ago but decided I wanted to make it a full remix.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1B9EDR11_BR6nPnTZo01WXe036wcWe68I/view?usp=drivesdk

Nowhere near done yet. The transition is an outline and so is the beginning of the second half. Mostly I'm trying to find a way to really blow the roof off that transition but haven't had time to experiment enough. But definitely am digging sort of flipping the tonality both chordally using the bass guitar and adding a serious dark militant vibe to it. Main theme is sort of light and shadow. Sort of similar to my first ocremix I guess. Anyway, I'll post more when I get to it. 

Edit: New review post at the bottom. Probably very close to the finished product.

Edited by H36T

• 1 month later...

It’s sounds really promising! The first half is really good for me. With the voice variations, you make a good atmosphere.

An electro rhythm starts at the 2nd half. Some good sonorities, but I think it lose in coherence. I like the idea of a rhythm in this 2nd part, but I feel it too powerful compared to the 1st half. It seems like we hear two different pieces. The rhyme can be lightened IMO. 

A 2nd point disturbs me. I well recognize accompany of the original, but not the main melody. You made good variations on this one. But I think it need to appears nearer than we hear it in the OST. You can for example place this melodic line when the rhythm starts. 

Anyway, I really like the direction you choose with this mix. Interesting atmosphere with the beginning, and a good potential on the following !

18 hours ago, bluelighter said:

It’s sounds really promising! The first half is really good for me. With the voice variations, you make a good atmosphere.

An electro rhythm starts at the 2nd half. Some good sonorities, but I think it lose in coherence. I like the idea of a rhythm in this 2nd part, but I feel it too powerful compared to the 1st half. It seems like we hear two different pieces. The rhyme can be lightened IMO. 

A 2nd point disturbs me. I well recognize accompany of the original, but not the main melody. You made good variations on this one. But I think it need to appears nearer than we hear it in the OST. You can for example place this melodic line when the rhythm starts. 

Anyway, I really like the direction you choose with this mix. Interesting atmosphere with the beginning, and a good potential on the following !

Thank you for your wonderful comment! Concerning the two different pieces, it's kinda where I'm going with it. I don't wanna reveal the name yet but it's a play on a more angelic though somber side and an intense, sinister side. I definitely have a lot of work helping those two sides meet but it's (hopefully) the last piece in a set of pieces I've done that have two sides to them. Still, maybe as I begin to build the second half more, I'll come to the conclusion that it's too intense haha. But honestly, I like how relentless it sounds! Maybe I need more power in the first half to compensate 🤣. I don't know yet! Need to get to the end first.

As far as the lack of melody in part two. It's just not written in yet though I'm hoping it takes more of a harmonic, though still present role when I do write it in.

• 3 months later...

Major update so far. The volume levels are a bit off (especially the bells and later some of the harmony and motifs) and I tend to fix those a bit later but the idea will be the same. Only thing I'm unsure of is if I'll be able to balance everything well enough before I gotta start cutting stuff thats insignificant in the second half. Conceptually though this is what I'm still aiming for 100%. The very end portion is just incomplete because I'm unsure of where to go lol.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Dz29OFukFUrSalPp4XK-1LXhUymBBd0L/view?usp=share_link

welp, I think i've reached my limit  in terms of skill and in terms of ideas at the moment. I'd be mostly banging my head up against the wall so asking for a review since it's mostly ready. Got rid of a lot or all of the clipping but kind  of had to cop out by adding a little tiny bit of compression on the master track. Conceptually its supposed to be light vs shadow with each half expressing both sides (similar to what i've done with my previous submissions). The second half is where currently I'm stuck and unsure how or if I want to move forward in  any way. i've struggled to get the effect of the huge  thunder without blowing up the entire sound in an unpleasant way. Don't think I achieved this lol. The final section I'm unsure if I enjoy the stripped down aspect or if I just can't find anything else to add to it. Anyway, those are my honest thoughts and I'm ready for some honest critique haha. Thanks for your time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XolsHY0UixBLTMhXm8bKYN36D_V5IJCp/view?usp=share_link

• 2 weeks later...

Evaluation:

Highly enjoyable piece you've come up with.  I like the dichotomy of the two halves.  Arrangement is solid and the source is clear throughout.

When the piano-type sound is isolated at the end 4:11-end it feels stilted and could use a touch of humanization. (Might benefit from having it throughout as well.)
Good transition 2:17 into the next section.
The initial drum hits combined with the return of the bass part at 2:23 may be the cause of the clipping you mentioned in the previous post.  Rather then have the master compressor, take a look here and see if there is any way that it could be cleaned up.

I'd say clean up that middle section's part 2:17-3:15 for being busy and muddled.  Also check on humanization throughout.  After that I think you're set.  Nice track :)

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!

I think....this is the final product or close to it. I am very happy with the nature of the track in terms of progression, direction, and sound profile. Maybe there is something production wise I'm missing in terms of the technical aspects but from a creative point of view, this is it for me I think. Ready for one more review
https://drive.google.com/file/d/182aKv7vJ7CZizemYOctvrbBNNV8dhRZC/view?usp=share_link

Evaluation:

1:50 Has a sudden cutoff after the swell like there's no reverb on the string crescendo.  Goes straight into the next section quickly and feels odd to me because of the sudden abrupt cutoff.  I suggest putting slight pause after the cutoff and some reverb for a moment of "breath" before the next section starts.

From 3:15 to the end has a lot of very straight and continuous kick or low tom drum.  Some more variety in the pattern wouldn't hurt.

You do hit 0db at the loudest point in the song, so you're definitely pushing it with the limiter.

Still love the textures and expressivity in the piece, and it builds nicely.  Balance amongst the parts feels good.  Take a look at those two earlier things I mentioned (should be easy quick and easy fixes) and then I think you'll be set.  Great work!

[This is an automatically generated message]

I've reviewed your remix and have returned it to Work-in-Progress status, indicating that I think there are some things you still need to work on. After you work on your track and feel that it's ready for submission to OCR, please change the prefix back to Ready for Review and someone will review it again. Good luck!