Original composer:  Koji Kondo
Comments: A relaxing Trap remix of fairy fountain from almost every Zelda game

I hope you guys enjoy this track.

Thanks, 

SpaceGhostBLK

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

some simple sfx and heavily filtered pads start this track out. the melodic content starts at 0:26, and the stylistic changes are apparent especially at 0:38. the beat hits at 0:51, and the original is mostly here in a different instrument with bass/set under it. there's a break at 1:17 in the beat, but the arpeggio from the original continues through here, with some interesting synth voice stuff. there's...another break? at about 1:43 that's just piano with no verb on it, and that builds back up with the kick coming back in at 1:55. the rest of the kit comes in at 2:08, and it's still the original arpeggio as it was in the original, with nothing new added, and it's like the tenth time i've heard it. there's another break with the synth vox at 2:33 or so, and that leads back to a recap at 2:59. this is mostly the same as the initial hit at 0:51 with some minimal changes in the hats and bass a few times. it goes through this a few times and then fades.

from a production standpoint, i think the mastering mostly sounds fine. the kick and bass are appropriately beefy, the hats sound spot-on, and the snare is great and crisp. i found the initial presentation of the synths chosen to be fine as well, and i liked the synth voice and some of the sweepy pads (although i wish they were used more). for a track that's almost 3:45, though, there's nowhere near enough depth of choice here. the same few instruments keep coming back for more on what's essentially a 15-20 second loop. it got very old very quick, easily by the 2 minute mark.

this was exacerbated by the total lack of arrangement outside that original. there's room for new chord structures, new countermelodic material, something carrying the melody other than the same arpeggio repeatedly. the arrangement here is sorely lacking, as it's essentially the original realized a few different ways with a (good sounding) loop under it. i don't think the track sounds bad, but it doesn't meet the criteria for arrangement on this site unfortunately.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/04/02 - (1N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Fairies in the Fountain"
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with proph: the lack of development over the course of a 4-minute track is cause enough to send this back.  There are variations in how the loop is presented, but it's still the same loop, and it gets boring quickly.  There isn't even an ending to break the monotony, just a fade-out.

I'm also not a big fan of some of the glitch effects that play with volume.  This wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but, for instance, the cut at 0:38 sounds like my hardware failed and not an intentional texture.

This an exceptionally hard track to remix, but it's been done before.  You can try listening to some of those to get an idea of the level of development we're generally looking for with a track like this.

NO

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/04/02 - (2N) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Fairies in the Fountain"
  • 2 weeks later...

This is definitely a trap remix of the fairy fountain music, and it does a decent job! Unfortunately, as proph and MW have said before me, we do look for more substantive arrangements that go beyond the presentations of the original themes.

Interestingly though, when I heard the intro to your track, I immediately thought of All Together Now, by The Farm - a huge UK hit from the 90s. Maybe there's inspiration to be drawn from there for some original interpretation?

Sadly in its current state it's a

NO

• DarkSim changed the title to *NO* Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time "Fairies in the Fountain"
  • Liontamer locked this topic