OCR04557 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "Prayers of the Earth"

Chimpazilla

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful stuff, particularly the tremolo string writing. The brass isn't the best, but the overall texture is solid; a little too muddy, maybe, but it overall achieves the mystical mood it's going for. The countermelodies having a more ghostly quality underneath the melody (e.g. 1:01-1:20) was a wonderful touch. Good job with the instrumentation tradeoff for the melodies, a tactic that's worked very well for Rebecca, as well as her signature percussive ornamentation.

Shining, shimmering, splendid. (Peabo Bryson-approved?) :-D

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/09/09 - (1Y) Final Fantasy 7 "Prayers of the Earth"

The rain stick at the very beginning sounded like static to me until it ended.  Otherwise, the instrumentation sounds great.

Speaking of the instrumentation, it's typical Tripp orchestration, which is to say it's really good.  It is quite short, but it's long enough to get the point across, even though it ends a little abruptly.  I wish it resolved in a more interesting way, but it's sufficient as it is.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/09/09 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 7 "Prayers of the Earth"
  • 1 month later...

the initial chimes (?) playing the chromatic ascending motif sound pretty fake. the entire initial 17 seconds are pretty fakey. the subsequently fleshed out section at 0:17 sounds a lot better, although the sustained celli are pretty echoy and loud. the bird sounds here enhance the vibe rather than detract which is really nice.

there are some assorted brass and percussive elements added in around 0:40, and the orchestration of the melodic material at around 1:02 is nice and unique from earlier versions. there's some fun motivic passing concepts after that, and we get the B section at about 1:38. there's still some very loud sustains here from the additive nature of the room verb on the sustained elements, but the ideas are well-handled despite being atmospheric.

the track is very short, which is unfortunate as i feel like there's more that could be done, and the dynamic range (finally no headroom!) is enormous, which detracts from the opening and ending. but what's here is unique and a creative take that draws from elements of the in-game situation to influence the arrangement choices, which i appreciate a lot.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/09/09 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 7 "Prayers of the Earth"
  • 2 months later...

Lovely variety of sounds here - I wasn't sold on the intro, but once the various winds came in, this arrangement came alive. The interplay between each of the different lead instruments gives this a fun call and response feeling.

Everything feels a little heavily washed out in reverb and not totally clean, but it's sufficient at creating a good atmosphere. I'm not hearing any reason I can't sign off on this!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2022/09/09 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "Prayers of the Earth"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04557 - *YES* Final Fantasy 7 "Prayers of the Earth"
  • Liontamer locked this topic