RebeccaETripp
Rebecca Tripp

http://www.crystalechosound.com/
ID: 48262
Game(s): FF5
Song Title: Heart’s Lullaby
Songs Remixed: Forest of Moore
Here’s a link:

This is my cover of the forest theme from Final Fantasy 5 "Legend of a Deep Forest” aka “As I Feel, You Feel” aka “Forest of Moore”, originally composed by Nobuo Uematsu.  It has a lot of names.  Incidentally, I called this arrangement “Heart’s Lullaby”!  This remix was done for the Pixel Mixers album, “To a New Dawn”.  You can get the entire album here: https://open.spotify.com/album/57HHwA... I recommend listening to the whole thing!  There are so many talented musicians on board, and it’s a treat!  The oboe, glockenspiel, flute and piccolo parts were performed by some acquaintances of mine!  Here are links to their channels:

Oboe: PhoenixDownRPG https://www.youtube.com/c/PhoenixDownRPG
Glockenspiel: Rahul Vanamali https://www.youtube.com/c/RahulVanamali
Flute and Piccolo: Gamer of the Winds https://www.youtube.com/c/GameroftheWinds

Opens with original writing over the top of source fragments with the melody then kicking in at :16. The bowed strings at :33 were carelessly exposed with the decays; doesn't sound as bad when they're in the background, but when they're the only thing to listen to like that, it sounds poor, and feels like the attention to detail isn't there. Same exposure with the brass from 2:17-2:26.

The live performers are nice, and despite the usual criticisms of some sequenced parts feeling like a quality disparity, the overall instrumentation was Rebecca's usual delicate palette with ornate touches here, there, and everywhere for a relaxing new age feel. Great personalized variations of the source theme throughout.

Since an audio file wasn't provided, we'd need to get one provided this is approved. Even in this YouTube video format, the arrangement's a clear pass for me.

YES

• 1 month later...
  • MindWanderer changed the title to 2022/10/06 - (2Y) Final Fantasy 5 "Heart’s Lullaby"
  • 4 weeks later...

never finished FFV myself, but there are a ton of fun elements in it, and the music stands out throughout.

intro features some instruments that are in different spaces, from the sound of it. verb and volumes are inconsistent.

strings at 0:33 sound bad even if they're not next to live instruments - like PS2 bad. flute performance is great as well as the oboe performance, with some pitch disparities here and there. the disparity between the glock and vibes (and audible distance/room tones) is significant and sounds not good at all - the glock is just lacking any room presence and sounds like it's right in front. i don't get the care taken with other instruments and then plopping it in with no verb whatsoever.

there's a nice descending line passed around for the ending.

this is not exciting but it's competent despite my criticisms. it's straightforward without a lot from an arrangement perspective that wasn't in the original, but it executes and sounds nice if you're a fan of RET's music.

I GUESS

• prophetik music changed the title to 2022/10/06 - (3Y) Final Fantasy 5 "Heart’s Lullaby"
  • 2 weeks later...

Rebecca, coming in with an orchestral arrangement of one of my favorite games (shame on you Prophetik for not finishing it!). The arrangement is certainly up to par, with a lot of cool original writing to keep things interesting.

The live instruments sound great, but those arco strings do not. I don't know what library you use, but there are better ones out there, even for free, and automating the volume envelopes can help make the strings sound less stiff, to boot. Concerning the rest of the instruments they're very dry, which not only exposes the issue of realism among your strings and bassoon (which while not perfect isn't as distracting as the strings), also makes the performance sound unnatural even with the live instruments. Basic reverb is a must if you want the instruments to blend in a believable fashion, since right now it really does sound like a bunch of performances that are happening in different places.

I like this, but I don't think this reaches our bar as it stands. Please try to make the strings sound like they're phrased appropriately with volume envelopes (or use a different VST for the strings), and more importantly please blend the instruments with some reverb.

NO

• Gario changed the title to 2022/10/06 - (3Y/1N) Final Fantasy 5 "Heart’s Lullaby"
  • Liontamer pinned this topic

The string writing is utterly lovely, but I agree with the guys that the sample sounds very uncanny, which could be fixed with volume-swell envelopes and a little more reverb.  The strings play a big role in this arrangement, so having them humanized will add so much more feeling to the piece.  The mix does sound drier than usual, most especially the strings.  That said, the arrangement is really lovely.  The live performances are very nice, and I like the vocal-sounding pad that starts around 1:25.  Everything in this mix is soft and delicate and intimate.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04572 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 "Heart's Lullaby"
  • Liontamer locked and unpinned this topic