OCR04582 - *YES* Baba Is You "Liquid Puzzles"

Emunator

Hi.

Sadly I didn’t play »Baba Is You« very far, because the puzzles were too hard for me. 🐵

But the soundtrack of the first subworld »The Lake« immediately got stuck in my head.

I love the strange sound of the melody and decided to make a version with a lot more energy.

You could listen to it here: 

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Gaspode

Your real name: Peter Köller

Your email address: 

Your website: –

Your userid: 26608

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged:

»Baba Is You«

Name of arrangement:

Liquid Puzzles

Name of individual song(s) arranged:

»Water Is Sink« from »Baba Is You«

Additional information:

Baba Is You, Steam (Windows, Mac, Linux), Music by Arvi Teikari

Link to the original soundtracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmSDE-lmMvo

Bye, Peter

• 1 month later...

You're not alone in struggling through Baba is You. My most common complaint with puzzle games is that they're too easy. This game kicked my ass backwards and forwards. Still haven't finished it.

This is a very difficult source tune to remix. It's weirdly toneless and very long. I think I caught enough connections to qualify, though.

Very basic, old-school sound palette, but the soundscape is full and the tones are used appropriately. It's very '80s without quite being synthwave. The leads sound a little thin at times, but overall it works.

The arrangement is a little meandering, but then so is the source. I think overall it works.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/03/24 - (1Y) Baba Is You "Liquid Puzzles"

:08.5-1:37.25 (:16 of source), 1:55-2:35 (:50 of source), 2:48.75-3:06 (:16 of source)

Source usage was there in spades, I just timed it out (not exhaustively, mind you) to not make assumptions. Interesting choice building original writing on top of the source tune arrangement from 1:02-1:37. The overall flow's a lot like the original in terms of different lines weaving in and out, only, in the case of this track, you have wholly original compositional ideas as well that were part of those weaving parts. It all clicks nicely here while presenting a different, more active flavor; nice work, Peter!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/03/24 - (2Y) Baba Is You "Liquid Puzzles"
  • 3 weeks later...

this is a surprisingly quiet track, all told. there's a few peaks that restrict the headroom but it really has like at least 4db of room there.

intro is simple but the rhythmic elements are real nice. the beat that came in at 0:26 was surprising, but again i liked the rhythmic elements and the focus on the off-beat. 1:02 brings in some new instrumentation. i think that the lead here could have used some dynamic programming so it's not just sustaining long notes without moving much, but the lfo element on the tone itself was appreciated.

1:38 is a tonal shift, adding new rhythmic elements via stuttered and delayed synths. the original continues to be clearly evident through this section. there's a dropout at 2:32, and it builds back around to the instrumentation of the beginning. this is very similar to the opening, but there's some additional reinforcement in synths to make it not quite copypasta though close. this progresses through with some new countermelodic material until a fairly abrupt ending.

this is pretty straightforward but a great rendition of the original nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/03/24 - (3Y) Baba Is You "Liquid Puzzles"

I'm loving this modern synthwave soundscape!  Fun arrangement with varied sounds as the arrangement moves along.  The writing is nicely personalized while keeping the original material recognizable.   I am enjoying the drum groove and fills, although some more varied drum writing here and there would have been welcomed, for example the section from 1:02- 1:38, that would have been a good opportunity for a slightly different kick pattern, perhaps even 4x4 for that section until 1:38.   But what's here works.

Overall I love this arrangement and soundscape.  Mixing and mastering are on point.  Love it!

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04582 - *YES* Baba Is You "Liquid Puzzles"
  • prophetik music locked this topic