OCR04623 - *YES* VVVVVV "Vigorous Pace"

Liontamer

Hi.

Since I played the indie-title VVVVVV I wanted to remix the great chip-tune »Passion for Exploring«,but for a long time I wasn’t sure about the style. After trying different ideas I stumbled across an old Logic-project were I tried to make an original trance-song in 7/8, which was never finished.

I took the main chords from it, changed them to 4/4 and they fitted the melody of »Passion for Exploring« quite well. These chords ended up in the buildup at the middle of the remix and defined the basis for a really powerful and energetic remix.

You could listen to it here: 

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Gaspode
Your real name: Peter Köller
Your email address: 
Your website: –
Your userid: 26608

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: »VVVVVV«
Name of arrangement: Vigorous Pace
Name of individual song(s) arranged: »Passion for Exploring«
Additional information: VVVVVV, Adobe Flash, Music by Magnus Pålsson, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVVVVV
Links to the original soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acjjp3CzzYU

Bye, Peter

i like the initial synth used. the beat drops around 0:30 and has a real 2001 OCR vibe to it, right down to the spit snare used. there's a break at 1:28, showing off more of the verby pads used along the chippy arpeggiator that's going for most of the track. 2:19 really starts the build, and the melodic content shows back up at 2:34. finally, after almost a quarter of the track (maybe a bit of that could have been trimmed?), the whole thing's together again at 3:04. the beat and synth work isn't anything crazy here but the payoff sounds great. i liked the consistent usage of dropping the beat for a beat here and there to emphasize specific melodic elements.

from a mastering perspective, this isn't anything super advanced, like i said before, which gives it a real oldschool sound. it certainly doesn't get in the way of the arrangement which is good enough for me.

this was a fun track! i really enjoyed the payoff chorus especially.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/09/16 - (1Y) VVVVVV "Vigorous Pace"

Soundscape sounds lossy, and I don't like the buzziness starting at :46 from one of the lines that's brought in. The core beat that takes over at 1:01 & 3:04 was boring to me, but it only lasted a few measures each time, so I'll move on. The synths do have that old school Euro flavor to them, so if you told me this was featured on Remix.Kwed.Org back in the day, I'd take it at face value. :-) Just picking nits here; the overall interpretation and mixing both are solid, so there's no reason to hold it back.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/09/16 - (2Y) VVVVVV "Vigorous Pace"
  • 3 weeks later...

VVVVVV has such a catchy soundtrack. Too bad it's so brutally hard.

Really nice old-school EDM here. Even catchier than the original. Lots of fun.

Production could be cleaner, though. The soundscape is pretty muddy and flat, especially 0:46-1:28 like Larry pointed out. The whole drum kit also lacks punch, with squishy hats and claps, and thin kicks.

The arrangement carries this, though. Expert job of making the original melody into something fresh.

YES

• MindWanderer changed the title to 2023/09/16 - (3Y) VVVVVV "Vigorous Pace"

Man, talk about oldschool. I'd whine about some of those synths being generic vanilla supersaws, but I think I'd be missing the point if I did. I like the soundscape and I think it does a lot of cool things with the source that's given, especially with those different chords beneath the source. The overall arrangement could use less reverb as everything washes out too much, but it's still easy enough to parse the instruments so it's not a debilitating issue overall. Also that ending really could've rung out some more, since it just cuts off abruptly at the end, there.

Yeah, I'm vibin' with this, let's put it up.

YES

• Gario changed the title to 2023/09/16 - (4Y) VVVVVV "Vigorous Pace"
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR04623 - *YES* VVVVVV "Vigorous Pace"
  • Liontamer locked this topic