*NO* Super Mario 64 "Bowser Road" *RESUB*

Emunator

Previous Decision

Hi, thanks to sent this mail but I had already read it, i work on it, this is my last mix ready for a new submmit .

Hi i want to send to summit this mix
My name remixer : AdriánDBAremixes
My real Name : Adrián Fernández Sanmiguel
My user rid 38736-adriandbamixes

Super Mario 64- Bowser Road
Edited by prophetik music

It's a meaningful improvement in terms of adding some more interpretive arrangement ideas, so that's a nice step forward, Adrián. You certainly put some work into having this feel less repetitive.

Unfortunately, the stiff timing of nearly everything is still a dealbreaker and will continue to be. The percussion changes up more often, but the track needs further padding to help mitigate the blocky feeling of this rigid timing. When you listen to the source tune, it doesn't sound anywhere near this stilted.

The laughing/growling SFX at 3:21 sounds too clean and exposed; it needs some effects on it to have a more ominous sound and also not feel so stapled on top and out of place with the rest of the soundscape. The track also ended abruptly after the laughing, so there's no real resolution.

IMO, humanizing the timing of the instrumentation would be the main hurdle. If there's any way you can do that, this would have a much better shot of passing.

NO (resubmit)

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/11/23 - (1N) Super Mario 64 "Bowser Road"

This is definitely an improvement, but as Larry said it still sounds very stiff and blocky.  I still hear a lot of disharmony.  Examples are 0:53-1:06, and again at 2:00-2:10 and again at 3:06-3::15.  

I don't hear the bass super well because it is mixed quietly, but when I really focus on it, I often hear the bass playing very randomly and not in tune with the rest of the instruments.  Quite often, the bass is playing a pattern that is too fast and chaotic to be supportive to all the busy writing on top of it.  1:21-1:49 is a good example of what I am saying.

Also as Larry said, the percussion does change now and then, which is good, but it isn't quite enough because the energy level of the track stays roughly the same all the way through.  I don't think this snare sample is very good, it is very heavy and overly snappy and it dominates the drum groove all the way through.  Perhaps changing the snare sound for something softer in the softer sections would help.  The hats all hit at the same velocity every time they are playing a fast pattern, which sounds unnatural.

The writing in the track is verbatim to the source writing although a few instrument changes occur throughout the piece.  Essentially this arrangement is just three playthroughs of the source tune.

The Bowser laughing at the end is a cool choice!  But yeah, I agree with Larry that it sounds too exposed, and it is obvious that it repeats over and over.  Some kind of morphing effect over the laughing would be very cool.  And just as with the previous version, the render cuts off before the track and all its reverb/effects are finished ringing out.

Lots of improvements on this version!  Still not quite there, though.

NO

• Chimpazilla changed the title to 2023/11/23 - (2N) Super Mario 64 "Bowser Road"

0:16 is kind of where it starts. the drums are louder than most of what else is going on. i agree that the bass is inaudible. i also agree that the track is the same thing repeated over and over without a ton of adaptation, humanization, or arrangement by the remixer. the backing pad changes chords too slowly to really account for the chord changes, and so you get a lot of conflicting notes. the track doesn't really have much in the way of a shape to it or any dynamics. 

it isn't all bad, of course - the drums overall sound good (they're the only thing i can hear clearly from start to finish), and when the B theme comes in, that airy lead is a nice pick. my suggestion now is to strip this back to the bolts beyond that and really focus on what YOU want to say with your remix. this is currently Bowser Road with New Instruments. that's not a remix - there needs to be transformative arrangement.by you. so do something different from the original, and make it really yours. and use the workshop, since this is not particularly close now and needs a lot of changes to really be something that approaches our bar.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Super Mario 64 "Bowser Road" *RESUB*