Liontamer

Remixer: LXE
Name: Alexis Gelinas
Email: 
--
  • Earthbound
  • Days Gone By
  • Onett
  • This one is a laid back lofi bop with bass synth, electric piano, mellotron, and backing guitar, and loads of ambience. I played this game a lot as a kid and this subtle reharm is nice and nostalgic I think.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

Nothing too complicated, but it's a nicely slowed down rendition with some nice ornamentation via the guitar, SFX, and voice clips. 1:42 was another iteration of the melody but a different key and with some doubling, followed by the chorus at 2:06 with some subtle differences.

See, I don't need ZOMG drastic differences; subtle but meaningfully observable differences are more than enough to get it done re: arrangement development in my book, since the overall tempo, instrumentation, and tone of the source tune are markedly different.

Low-key, but substantive enough of a treatment. The ending was POOOO because it ended relatively abruptly, but we'll live. Nice to hear a slower concept from Alexis that I don't have to ding for being too repetitive or underdeveloped.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/12/03 - (1Y) EarthBound "Days Gone By"

intro is straightforward with little changes outside of the genre adaptation. the ascending burbles were nice and appropriately rare. 1:42 adds some doubling occasionally for harmony, but is still mostly the same as the first time through with no changes to key. A:Bing it does show some extremely minor changes (there's some different attack velocities on the lead EP in a few places), but it's basically twice through with almost exactly the same thing, and then it ends suddenly mid-loop. this is a pattern with LXE's music that i've seen - most of them have loop-point endings rather than properly prepared endings like you'd expect for a standalone song.

this is not enough arrangement as-is. the genre feel is on point, but this is even more simple than the original track in terms of instrumentation so it would need to have truly stellar personalization. that is not the case here - if you slow the original down, it's doing roughly what's going on here with some changes to how the backing chords speak. i think the track itself sounds fine (although, again, all of LXE's tracks need compression), but from an arrangement perspective there's not enough personalization and it is the same loop twice with no ending. we need more here at OCR.

NO

Edited by prophetik music
fixed grammar

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/12/03 - (1Y/1N) EarthBound "Days Gone By"
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree with proph. The personalization is maybe borderline (though I'm on the side of NO there), but the fact that the second half is nearly identical to the first is a dealbreaker. The repetition is exacerbated by the low-fi, mellow, static beat and lack of dynamic interest. I feel like I'd heard everything this had to offer 30 seconds in. I respect that intent is to be chill, but this is too chill, the loop aside.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to 2023/12/03 - EarthBound "Days Gone By"
  • 2 weeks later...

I found myself unfortunately siding with MW/Prophetik on this one, loving the concept but feeling like there's not quite enough connective tissue to link the bones together. Just a couple layers of texture or some additional flourishes would put this over the bar from a sound design perspective and keep it from feeling too plodding or static. Arrangement-wise, I think this could have been trimmed up and still gotten the point across, or if you were feeling ambitious, find ways to differentiate the second half from the first, but as it stands, the length isn't justified.

I know project files were lost here and edits aren't possible, but hopefully the feedback can get implemented down the line in future stuff. You've got the creativity locked down, just need that last bit of polish til you're reaching that finish line with consistency!

NO

• 4 weeks later...

I love this concept, the bass sounds amazing right away, full of presence.  I love the clips of nature and kids playing in the park, perfect.  This really is such a great idea. 

Sadly though I am on board with my fellow NOs, because there isn't enough development in this arrangement.  Once the soundscape and vibe are established, it is two identical loops through the same material.  I checked by layering the second half together with the first and playing them simultaneously and A/Bing too, and they are identical.  Then the track ends in a lazy fashion by just.... stopping... mid bass-loop.  Not enough development for OCR, but I enjoyed it nonetheless!

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* EarthBound "Days Gone By"