*NO* Super Mario RPG & Wario Land 3 "Where Are We Going?"

Liontamer

Artist: 8bitsofglitch

I had a rhythm in my head for what I wanted the SMRPG map theme to sound like, and I've wanted to do a version of the Wario land map theme for a while, but seeing as its so minimal I decided that it would be a good idea to combine them together. Originally I was going to expand on the Wario theme a bit, but it just wasn't working in a way that suited me.

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

track is mono. stereo is a requirement for us, so this can't pass as-is, but i'll still go through it. also about 7db of headroom.

starts out with some minimal blurbs and drum machine beats, and is fleshed out a bit with a square bass and some more static cymbals as it gets going. soon after we get both melodic lines coming in and out alongside one another. they work together better than i expected upon first listen to the originals. these truck alongside one another until a slight break in the beat at 1:41, and then it's back in with a third countermelodic element over top in a pad. it trucks through the melodic 

the beat and bassline has been the same throughout, and the melodic parts when they're playing are the same throughout as well. there's a countermelodic element that starts at 1:54 that is pretty not in the same key as the rest of the song, so that's an issue. from a sound design perspective, the concepts you're using here could work, but there needs to be a lot more attention paid to making the synth work more detailed and interesting to listen to - tracks that succeed using default sounds like this include a lot more complexity in what those default sounds are saying, and tracks that succeed with similarly laid-back and simple synth lines use synths that are much more interesting to listen to.

for this to pass, i'd expect to see a lot more in-depth work with pads, backing synths, bass, and drums to vary it up and craft the soundscape more than the loops that are here, and i'd expect to see more personalization in the lead parts to make it more your arrangement vs. playing through the original melody. beyond that, some work with the mixing to make it less samey throughout and add dynamics and variance will help as well. i think the workshop forum and/or discord can definitely help with these.

NO

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/12/19 - (1N) Super Mario RPG & Wario Land 3 "Where Are We Going?"
  • 2 weeks later...

Far too quiet, right off the bat. Even maxing out my player volume, about a 50% increase in my usual volume, it's too quiet to hear clearly.

From what I can hear, there are quite a few issues, but proph covered them pretty well. The soundscape is minimal, the layers aren't in the same key, and the arrangement is underdeveloped. I hate to be harsh, but I think spending some time in our workshop areas would be helpful to you.

NO

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2023/12/19 - Super Mario RPG & Wario Land 3 "Where Are We Going?"

Interesting concept, and I think a mix of the two sources can make a cool arrangement!  But this needs lots of work to make it OCR-passable.  The render is in mono, and I am seeing almost 9db of headroom.  The soundscape and arrangement are super simple and repetitive.  Everyone starts somewhere!  I agree taking this to our workshop to get further perspectives on what can be improved is a very good idea.

NO

• Liontamer changed the title to *NO* Super Mario RPG & Wario Land 3 "Where Are We Going?"