OCR04653 - *YES* Shovel Knight "Mole Total Destroy"

Liontamer

This was my Dwelling of Duels submission for December 2022, MAGFest Month.

I participated in DoD for the first time in January 2022, not knowing what I was getting in to. After seeing the enthusiastic (and constructive) response to my submissions, I got hooked and committed to do a full year of DoD to practice recording, arranging, and production. This track was the culmination of that year.

I wanted to take everything I had learned submitting to DoD in 2022 and crank it up to 11. I thought the Mole Knight boss theme would make for a good djent cover, so putting the arrangement chops I gained over the year, this is the result. It's heavy, it's prog, it's got vocals, it's got guitar solos, it's even got a violin solo!

Track credits:

* minusworld - guitars, bass, programming, lyrics, arrangement, production

* Brandon Strader - vocals

* Development of Avoid - guitar solo at 2:23

* Shea's Violin - violin solo

The opening of Mole Knight's Boss theme reminded me of the intro to "Make Total Destroy" by Periphery, so I adapted it into a similarly fretboard-spanning octave tapping riff and went from there. I knew I wanted alternating growled and clean vocals, and Brandon Strader delivered 110%. Development of Avoid did the solo at 2:23. This track was perfect for his style. The solo is weird and alien, but also strangely memorable. I added the bridge really late in the month, and Shea's Violin came on board for a short violin solo and killed it.

The main source used is Mole Knight's boss theme, "Claws of Fate". Mole Knight's stage "An Underlying Problem" is used in a few places, and the Specter of Torment version of the stage, "Facing the Task" is lightly used.

Main source: Shovel Knight - Claws of Fate (https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/the-claws-of-fate-mole-knight-battle)

Other references:

* Shovel Knight - An Underlying Problem (https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/an-underlying-problem-the-lost-city) - melody from source at 0:00 adapted at 0:49 in this cover; bass line from source at 2:14 adapted into breakdown at 1:23 in this cover

* Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - Facing the Task (https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/facing-the-task-lost-city), chord progression and melody from source at 0:44 adapted in the bridge at 1:57 of this cover

The lyrics are mostly a generic "down with the system" deal, but with some mole- and shovel-related imagery. I did take some inspiration from current events at the time... namely a certain head-of-state warmonger and a certain owner of a bird-themed company. ?

### Verse 1
We are beneath you
We make the ground quake under your feet
Collapse the system
Bring it down to earth

You are beneath us
You think your status makes you our savior
Demon in disguise
Fallen angel

### Chorus
Walking all over us again
Can’t take much more, we are at our wits end
Look at this world you left for us
Covered in rust, and dust, and lust

Fire and smoke reach toward the sky
Brandishing claws, revolt sparks in our eyes
Through with the lies you’re shoveling
Disgust, distrust, combust
Yeah, bring it down

### Verse 2
For all your worth
You are worthless
A blight
On our kind

Your cultists
Have disowned you
True colors
Red stripes, blood

### Bridge
Shining brightly
As we unite! We
Will strike the ground
Move this mount-ain
On our own
And you’ll
Be left all alone
All alone

### Breakdown
Influence overthrown
Name no more known
Monuments overgrown
Yeah

### Down Bridge
The future’s
Shining brightly
As we unite! We
Will strike the ground
Move this mount-ain
On our own
And you’ll
Be left all alone

### Tag
Rise up
Break through the fallow ground
Sharpen your claws
New world inbound

### Outro
Walking all over us again
Can’t take much more we are at our wits end
Fire and smoke reach toward the sky
Brandishing claws, revolt sparks in our eyes

Games & Sources:

Main source: Shovel Knight - Claws of Fate (https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/the-claws-of-fate-mole-knight-battle)

Other references:

* Shovel Knight - An Underlying Problem (https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/an-underlying-problem-the-lost-city) - melody from source at 0:00 adapted at 0:49 in this cover; bass line from source at 2:14 adapted into breakdown at 1:23 in this cover

* Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - Facing the Task (https://virt.bandcamp.com/track/facing-the-task-lost-city), chord progression and melody from source at 0:44 adapted in the bridge at 1:57 of this cover

• 2 weeks later...

metal af to start. the initial section with the growls sounds pretty solid, but i'll admit i can't understand a word of the clean vocals since they're so quiet relative to the rest of the track. they're also kind of treble-ly throughout.

the track slammajammas through some really mean riffing and drum work for the first 1:50, and there's a bunch of the riffs from the original throughout so i'm good with the arrangement. this is a beast of an original to adapt into a vocal track - brandon does a really great job with a really rough melody line, honestly, even if the words are a bit difficult to fit in sometimes. given that the vocals aren't the focus of the track, i don't mind that the words aren't always really very fitting of the melody line.

there's a break (>>??>>) at 1:55, and some fun stuff going on in there with the violin as a really out of nowhere add. i agree that the solo is all angles and sharp edges and i love it too. it goes through some more riffing and then it's done.

this is super intense and i love it. virt's music is so technically proficient that we don't get nearly enough remixes of his stuff as i'd wish, so i'm all over this. your playing is proficient and your arrangement is solid and recognizable, and everyone who contributed really did a great job. nice work.

YES

• prophetik music changed the title to 2023/12/21 - (1Y) Shovel Knight "Mole Total Destroy"
  • 3 weeks later...

Loud, loud, loud! I know it's the genre, but I still had to drop my volume to 2/3 thirds of my usual listening volume. And the opening (and ending) sound like 95% literally random notes; it sounds really similar to what happened in old programming languages when you overflowed the frequency range.

Growling vocals are totally indecipherable, but that's understandable. The sung vocals are also 99% indecipherable, and that's less so. It's hard to make out the words even in the vocal solo. Oh, it's Brandon, that tracks. He's always had great pitch control but not so great enunciation, and this is no exception.

I can barely hear the guitar melody either; it's all drum kit and overdriven guitar. And because the melody is so hard to hear, and that's where the Shovel Knight is, it loses a lot of that connection. I have no doubt it would pass 50% timestamping, going carefully and listening carefully, but it's a weaker link than it needs to be.

While I personally think the mixing should be improved, I respect that most fans of death metal don't expect, need, or particularly appreciate clean mixing. (I actually really enjoy well-mixed death metal, but not most of it.) I'm not a fan of this, but I think it does what's intended.

YES

• DarkeSword changed the title to 2023/12/21 - Shovel Knight "Mole Total Destroy"
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Liontamer pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

Honestly, I've heard plenty of this genre to know that much of this is standard death metal fare - sweet complicated guitar work and incomprehensable growls that make more sense the more you listen to them. I agree with Mindwander on some of the vocals being mixed too far behind the guitars. It's so much better at 1:57 when they take center stage, but even what we have elsewhere is plenty postable on OCR; I can still hear and understand the lyrics when they're more behind the mix, just oddly mixed.

Overall this is exactly what I'd imagine if someone said "Death Metal Mole Knight", and I'm more than happy to see this where it belongs.

YES

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR04653 - *YES* Shovel Knight "Mole Total Destroy"
  • Gario locked this topic
  • Liontamer unpinned this topic